Hey Guys! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Guys!

So I'm a new rider! Been wanting to for years so I finally saved up and bought myself a nice used Yamaha. Didn't realize how much I was gonna love this bike but man does it ride nice! Then again it's the only bike I've driven besides my 200cc scooter... Although I love the bike there are a couple things I would like to do to it.The first thing I would like to do is find it a name! I posted a picture of it below so feel free to offer suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17218553_1506751696004174_6850329634307816721_o.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	68570  

1998 V Star 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:44 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. You got yourself a nice dependable bike there. Lots of 650 riders here so you came to the right place.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:55 AM

Welcome to the forum. No idea on a name but it's a sweet bike! How about Sweetness.... There I do have an idea.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:39 AM
KCW

Garage
I use to sail catamarans, and the tradition was you do not name the boat, the boat will name itself.

For example, one sailor I knew nudged his nice blue hobieCat into the side of another white sail boat, and left a blue streak all the way down the side of the other guys boat: Blue Streak

Another guy got his thumb caught in the main sail line of his hobie cat and lost his thumb: AmpuCat

Let the bike choose its own name - give it a few months.

And BTW, I find it absurd that car and MC manufacturers spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to come up with marketing names for models of vehicles. They are starting to sound like Star Trek characters: Elantra, Landru, Fusion, HyperDrive....

I take the model badges off my vehicles. If I want my vehicles to have a name, I will call it what I want.

After all: its MY car or motorcycle.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post

Let the bike choose its own name - give it a few months.
Lucy, my 650cc '04 VStar had her name when I purchased her from a beloved so I kept it, it means Light. That name was given to her because she was a bright spot in a challenging time to my dear friend. So now Lucy is my Lucy Belle (Beautiful Light), Miss Thang, Missy Pants, Luce and the terms of endearments keep coming in for her and I let them. Plus, that's my way for Lucy's name to evolve and give me a voice in the conversation.

And, I just bought a '98 1300cc Royal Star with my partner and that bike I started calling Beauty & The Beast because it is so much bigger and handsomely pretty and it felt right from our first night together, us and the bike that is. Plus, I wanted my partner to also be able to listen to what the bike shared as it's name with him. I'm not pushing that Beauty or anything sticks right now but simply calling it, "the other bike" didn't feel right. As we've been getting to know one another the, "Beast" part has mostly fallen away and Beauty seems to be sticking so we'll see. The hard part has been getting the bike to tell me its gender.

With that said, I often use my putts to do Oracular work. That is to say that some days I decide to go for a ride and ask a question and let the world around me show me signs that I then interpret for answers. Sometimes I even do this by pointing myself in no particular direction and ending up wherever the bike takes me. In that way I experience and find things I would never had encountered otherwise. If you see where I am going with this and if I may suggest, you might try something similar with your new friend. That is, ask it's name with an open willingness to listen, go for a cruise, chillax and let it speak to you and see what it says.

Like KCW said and I agree, sometimes the process takes months to unfold but when you finally arrive at the answer and if you trust it will happen, you'll know the name when you hear it.

Luscious!, Lucy Belle & Beauty

Last edited by Luscious!; 04-01-2017 at 01:23 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:03 PM

Garage
That was a fun intro Jarrodg1993. I named my 950 Rosalita because she's a beautiful candy apple red metallic. My previous bike was a Yamaha FZ6 and was blue, so I named her Sapphire, (kinda lame/dorky, haha). The project bike I'm working on is a Suzuki GSX1100g. It's a very big, masculine looking 4 cylinder with a lot of power, so he will be getting a male name when he's all put back together.

Your bike looks like a classy, tuxedo clad gentleman to me. But hmm, a name? -- Maybe I'll have to agree with the other members here and say that it will speak to you.

Welcome to the forum!

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:19 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Nice looking ride there.
You gotten some interesting replies from our members on naming your bike. I let my 950 tourer name itself so to speak, and I'm sure you'll come up with something. Enjoy the forum and ride safely. You'd be hard pressed to find a better membership group that truly loves to ride and helps one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jarrodg1993 and Jarrodg1993 like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 03:03 PM

Garage
Not much for naming my vehicles, although my wife has started referring to my bike as 'the other woman'. Guess it's a female.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:49 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
Not much for naming my vehicles, although my wife has started referring to my bike as 'the other woman'.
My nephew wanted to name his HobieCat 20 "THE BETTER HA_..." with a smear of paint after the missing letters LF

BTW I ended up naming my hobieCat HydroManiac because I was like a crazy man on the water.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Garage
Whoops! Doubling back to share something I didn't say at first which is welcome and lovely looking ride you have there. Hope your day is fab!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Luscious!, Lucy Belle & Beauty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode