Americade 2015 Ride Report - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Americade 2015 Ride Report

Just came back from spending the weekend at Americade in Lake George NY. We lucked out and got beautiful weather the whole time despite some predicted thunder storms so that made me happy as I hate riding in the rain.

Route there was essentially back roads to Rt 2, then Rt 112 (my personal favorite, all those lovely twisties next to the river) to the Vt 100 and then NY 149 to 9. VT 100 has some major construction going on - they have pieces of it down to dirt and are clearly re-grading as they were laying down a lot of dirt too. But, we only hit about a 6 mile stretch of it I guess so that wasn't too bad all things considered. Worst part of it was it made the bike dirty.

Unfortunately we had a major delay while still in VT as we were riding through the pretty farm areas - guy passed part of our group, and then slowed down and waved the two guys in the lead and then passed them at over 100 mph so close he was like 12 inches from their mirrors. He then proceeded to run himself right off the road, through a road sign and into a cornfield. I really, really think he was trying to get my SO who was riding his bright yellow Ducati ST4 to race with him and I think he was looking in his rear view to see if he had taken the bait. We were a group of five but my girlfriend is a newer rider and we took a more leisurely pace than the guys and often let them go ride "zesty". The guys estimated he was doing 120 when he ran off the road - but the state police walked over his speedometer - it was reading over 90 when it broke in the corn field. He was pretty lucky as he was alive - the corn field was a pretty soft landing - it was freshly tilled and newly planted. Just past the cornfield was a large stand of pine trees, not exactly a forest...but if he had done this less than a quarter mile from where he was he would not have survived. Turned out to be a 65 year old diabetic. As a reminder to everyone - he was begging for his helmet to be removed and the guy who got down to the field before me loosened his strap. Don't loosen the strap or remove a helmet unless you HAVE to to give CPR. That helmet being removed right can be the difference in walking again.

We finally made it up to Americade in time for dinner and the fireworks. Saturday morning we got up early and had breakfast together and then split into the guys and gals. Us gals hit the vendor tent while the guys did a ride up towards Lake Placid, my guy wanted to ride hurricane road or something though I don't think they went that far. We met back up at lunch time and then we did a little more shopping before riding around the lake. Two of the guys went and did some more riding and we got together and rode out of town to one of the quieter towns for a nice dinner at a brew house. We all headed over to the event area to see Aaron Lewis (way too much bass). I can see why they are calling this year Junuary locally *brrrr* it got quite cold. Last year we melted all day at the vendor fair - I barely took my sweatshirt off this year.

Came home on Sunday a slightly different route - cut of the part of VT 100 that had the construction but hit the nicer section we didn't do on Friday. Not sure how that happened, but great roads and then went through the hairpin turn in North Adams that is kind of fun.

All in all a great weekend, this was my second trip to Americade. Maybe stay longer next year and do a little more riding. I got over 500 miles on over the weekend which is a lot for me - especially this early in the season.

Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:24 PM

Except for the guy hitting the field, sounded liked a good time. I went the Sunday before from Maine with my dads hog group, only metric bike in the gorup of 18 bikes. Drove around Monday in the rain and checked the vendors out on Tuesday, travel home on Wednesday. Mfor my first year going it wasn't back, already put our name in the the hotel for next year. Also picked up some new rain gear, could have used it on the trip over.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 PM

Thought it was Harleycade not Americade

Attachment 45025 Just came back from one of the best trips of my life. We went and camped at Lake George within walking distance to the venue. Spent maybe two hours walking around. Then we cruised and cruised and cruised in some of the best motorcycle riding roads I have ever been on. We rode up to Whiteface Mtn the view I can't explain unless you been there. The weather was perfect cool and only drizzled at night for a few minutes. Oh did I say the roads were unreal. What a dream can check this one off my bucket list. I don't think Harley is having any bad economy issues. My goodness one right after the other though there were all types and sizes but the majority was Harley. I promise after this trip though never to blip my throttle ever again. I swear its an addiction. Yes I have been guilty of it but trying to sleep in a campground along the main road first night was tough. Got used to it. Think I am going to put the stock pipes back on and try to please at least one person that my bike is quiet. Yes I know heard loud pipes save lives and yes I live in the most congested area or at least top 5. Just hearing Blip Blip Blip Blip Blip all night you want to end it all. Oh and those of you with sport bikes you don't want to hold the throttle full open so that the engine hits the rev limiter for a few seconds unless your daddy bought you the dang thing. Even though if I were the Dad i would throttle you myself. LOL. Well back home safe and sound. Here's to the trip of a lifetime!!!!! Oh Lake Placid NY in the foreground.

Last edited by Boatloser; 06-10-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode