Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

650 custom not starting up

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  motohead 
#1 ·
So, I just received my v-star 650 custom from the moving company, and she looks in pretty good condition, but she's protesting. So, I'll start with this: I'm new to motorcycles in general and have never had to ship my bike overseas until now. Before I left, I drained the fuel tank, and that was it. She went on a boat for 3 months, and now she's here. I filled up the tank with fuel, and tried to get her started. It was making a ticking sound after trying to getting it going. I opened the choke, and gave it gas, and after a few tries, it'll start and as long as I give it plenty of gas, it'll stay on, but then moment I ease off the throttle, she'll idle for about 10 seconds, then die. What's going on? I don't know where there's a dealer around here and even if there was, I wouldn't be able to get it there. Am I over reacting? HELP. :(

#5 ·
. It was making a ticking sound after trying to getting it going. I opened the choke, and gave it gas, and after a few tries, it'll start . :(

The ticking is the fuel pump...normal. gave it gas.... will make toast out of your starter clutch as this changes the timing. Don't touch the gas when starting.

#7 ·
It sounds like you're leaking fuel through the carb vent tube. Look between the heads and you should see a rubber tube coming from between the carbs. If fuel is coming out there you have a stuck float or gummed up needles in the carb. You can try replacing the fuel filter and pouring in some Seafoam, try starting it, and letting it sit for a couple of days. If you're careful you can pull the bowls and spray some carb cleaner in there. If that does not work you will have to pull the carbs and clean them. Not hard, just a PITA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.