Advice needed for a route - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Advice needed for a route

So I was talking with the wife over the weekend and we want to make a trip through the mountains this fall when the leaves change. Just wondering what route, if any, would be good to take, or stay away from. I'm referring to the mountains of VA and maybe into PA. The obvious one is the Blue Ridge Parkway but I don't want to putt along at 35 all day long. Did that once in a cage from Luray to Charlottesville. Thought I would die before I got off that rd.

Thanks,
Summer

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 03:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
So I was talking with the wife over the weekend and we want to make a trip through the mountains this fall when the leaves change. Just wondering what route, if any, would be good to take, or stay away from. I'm referring to the mountains of VA and maybe into PA. The obvious one is the Blue Ridge Parkway but I don't want to putt along at 35 all day long. Did that once in a cage from Luray to Charlottesville. Thought I would die before I got off that rd.

Thanks,
Summer
can give some PA help, but not much for VA.

Given the desire to avoid 35mph all day, many of my favorite mountain routes would be cut out.

From south to north starting around Chambersburg:

Rte 233 through the Michaux State Forest is very nice. Then head up to Harrisburg (hop on I81 briefly or take 174 to 641), and catch Rte. 15 North up to Williamsport. Take a quick jog over 220 to Rte. 44 up through the Susquehannock State Forest & Pine Creek Gorge (Pennsylvania's "Grand Canyon"). Catch Rte. 6 West over through the Alleghany Natl. Forest. Take 119 or 219 South, pretty scenic down to Jenners. Hang a left onto Rte. 30 over to Chambersburg and you're mostly back where you started.

500 miles. A -very- long 1 day, or 2 shorter day's ride with time to stop & stuff. (I'd recommend breaking it into 2 around Pine Creek Gorge)

Hopefully this google maps link will work (roughly):

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wayn...39.9375911!3e0

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons

Last edited by caseyjones; 06-19-2015 at 03:45 PM. Reason: better map link
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that bro. Not sure exactly where we want to go yet. I just want to ride through some nice scenery. Will definitely keep this in mind

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
Thanks for that bro. Not sure exactly where we want to go yet. I just want to ride through some nice scenery. Will definitely keep this in mind
FWIW, that first leg through Michaux State Forest is a nice hour-ish ride that's well worth it on its own, should you want something easier to take on... It's a good double-line two-lane road with some nice twisties, but where you'll also have plenty of chances to break past 35 mph... One of my favorite "I just need an hour or two out in the woods" rides.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode