2018 Meet up schedule - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2018 Meet up schedule

The dates are fast approaching. A little over a month left! I figured I'd start a new thread for scheduling. My girlfriend and I will be getting down there Thursday night (20th) with my dad and mother coming down Friday evening. I know we have a planned meet on Friday at 10 am at the museum. The rally is NOT this weekend. It is sep. 8-9. No big deal was just gonna let everyone know. I just got back from a trip to western NC and put about 32 hours on the bike so I am pretty familiar with the rides and roads around there. I know some others on here are pretty familiar with the rides as well. I figured Saturday we could hit the tail and the skyway, that would be a pretty good ride that I enjoyed quite a bit. 441 through the Smokies is a really good road we might do Friday. Just wanted to post up and see what you guys were wanting to do Friday and Saturday.
Keith Post and nurtaeff like this.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
https://visitncsmokies.com/wp-conten...rcycle-PDF.pdf

Via this route map. I think the Smokie east loop would be good for Friday and the 250-mile tail and skyway route for Saturday.

2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Garage
Sounds like some great ideas to me. Thursday night we’re planning to have a meeting at the host hotel as people are getting unpacked and lay out some plans. We want everyone’s input so we’ll discuss what you’re suggesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brittct and nurtaeff like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Sounds like some great ideas to me. Thursday night we’re planning to have a meeting at the host hotel as people are getting unpacked and lay out some plans. We want everyone’s input so we’ll discuss what you’re suggesting.

Sounds good. I know I can ride for 10+ hours a day and others don't like to ride that long, that's why I was just gonna try to get some input on what people are comfortable doing and ride time. A meeting Thursday night sounds like a great idea.

2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:24 PM

Garage
Great! Looking forward to meeting you .

brittct likes this.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 09:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittct View Post
The dates are fast approaching. A little over a month left! I figured I'd start a new thread for scheduling. My girlfriend and I will be getting down there Thursday night (20th) with my dad and mother coming down Friday evening. I know we have a planned meet on Friday at 10 am at the museum. The rally is NOT this weekend. It is sep. 8-9. No big deal was just gonna let everyone know. I just got back from a trip to western NC and put about 32 hours on the bike so I am pretty familiar with the rides and roads around there. I know some others on here are pretty familiar with the rides as well. I figured Saturday we could hit the tail and the skyway, that would be a pretty good ride that I enjoyed quite a bit. 441 through the Smokies is a really good road we might do Friday. Just wanted to post up and see what you guys were wanting to do Friday and Saturday.
Hey Britt, check your dates again. The other thread says Sept 20-22, you have 8-9.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Hey Britt, check your dates again. The other thread says Sept 20-22, you have 8-9.
Chief, I think he said that the Maggie valley rally is on 8-9. It hasn’t been cancelled it’s just different date than our meeting.

Me, wife and our friends are leaving on 20th as well. Sometime afternoon to make to Waynesville not too late. Would be good to get together that Thursday night and make a plan for Friday. If we’re going to do a 250-mile ride we better plan several stops, my wife wants to ride her bike, but she is not that hard core. If we want to ride as a group we should consider our “noob” riders abilities. That applies to the Tail. I want to ride the Tail myself, but not sure about my wife and friends cause they may not enjoy it that much if they will have to ride beyond their skills. I’m just trying to make sure everybody is safe and have fun. Again, having a meeting would be great. Maybe even another one on Friday morning before we go.

Just a thought.
Keith Post likes this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Chief, I think he said that the Maggie valley rally is on 8-9. It hasn’t been cancelled it’s just different date than our meeting.

Me, wife and our friends are leaving on 20th as well. Sometime afternoon to make to Waynesville not too late. Would be good to get together that Thursday night and make a plan for Friday. If we’re going to do a 250-mile ride we better plan several stops, my wife wants to ride her bike, but she is not that hard core. If we want to ride as a group we should consider our “noob” riders abilities. That applies to the Tail. I want to ride the Tail myself, but not sure about my wife and friends cause they may not enjoy it that much if they will have to ride beyond their skills. I’m just trying to make sure everybody is safe and have fun. Again, having a meeting would be great. Maybe even another one on Friday morning before we go.

Just a thought.
I agree with your statement on the “noob’s”. I think that’s a very wise approach. If riders are looking for a “badge of honor”, then the Dragons Tail is the way to go. You can get your pic like GArider did plus t-shirts etc...
If your looking for a fun road with better scenery and less traffic, Cherohola HWY is better.
Keith Post, nurtaeff and GARider like this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:37 AM

Garage
I agree with considering the new riders not used to taking long trips. We certainly don’t want to overwhelm anyone and don’t want anyone to feel left out or that they have to ride at the back of the pack. I suggest we take it day by day and meet each evening for suggestions, feedback, etc. Just my .02 cents worth. We’re planning to be there Thursday afternoon and get settled in and greet everyone as they arrive. We’re getting more excited week by week. Can’t wait to see everyone there.

nurtaeff likes this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:56 AM

Garage
we'll sit all together at the table Thursday night and make a plan for Friday. We can ride all day if we want, just gotta plan stops, meals, gas, places to see.

Blue Ridge is a long road, I'm pretty sure there are routes suitable for different levels of skill, comfort, etc. Our goal is to find a good balance and not to leave anyone behind.

I got a feeling that it's going to be awesome!
Keith Post likes this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode