Riding from Ohio to FL - Avoid Atlanta? - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_G View Post
Can you adjust the back-lighting so you don't have that glare riding at night?

On my Road Star there is a key/button sequence to adjust the lighting.
There is. I've just been too lazy to go out at night (when I could see the glare) and futz through the sequence to adjust everything. As I recall, there are three settings (maybe only 2?). Pointer brightness, LCD brightness and, Panel brightness? I've googled this and have found a couple of threads on this issue. I'm kind of surprised no one has tried to cobble up a cowl like exist for the Raider/Stryker.
https://www.amazon.com/National-Cycl.../dp/B00AW25CHW

2001 V-Star 650 Classic - purchased in 2017 w/ 10.5K miles
2014 Stratoliner S - purchased in 2018 w/ 0 miles (Original Owner!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Angle / rake the windshield forward a bit and the refection of the speedo will drop down lower.

On my 650 the speedo reflection looks like a big wall clock, floating about 100 feet infront of the bike, down below my line of site. Too bad its too blurry to read, and backwards.
I've looked at it. Short of removing the actual windscreen from the frame putting in spacers, the factory windshield doesn't seem to have any method for adjusting the tilt. Here are some threads (from this site and others) with similar complaints; and no solutions other than DIY.

Speedometer glare on windshield | Cruiser Community

https://www.motorcycleforums.net/for...ent-glare.html

Windshield Glare Motorcycle Club

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...indshield.html

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:57 PM

If you're planning on Interstate down to Naples then stopping at Calhoun is fine since its right off of I-75. From there I'd get on state 53 to Rome, going through Cedartown, Carollton and down to LaGrange.

Jump over to 185 into Columbus (my home town, incidentally but I haven't lived there since the early 70's). Get on US 27/280 through Cusseta and Dawson. Pass through Albany heading towards Tifton. Then its back on I-75 all the way to Naples.

Atlanta is horrible traffic 24 hours a day. There is no good time of the day or day of the week. Damned if I know where everyone is going.

750 Chris Here in this forum
750 Chris In VRA forum
Vn750Guy** In vulcanforums
750 Guy In VROC forum
Chris and Shim In vn750.com forum
Long retired USAF AMMO troop (74 to 95)
Fully retired now
2005 Yamaha Virago 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCanaday View Post
But I hear Atlanta GA is a NIGHTMARE!
I used to have to go to Atlanta for work now and then a long time ago and it was the pits way back when. I liked Atlanta ok in general, but did not like driving around it or through it at all and this is back when I was young and immortal. Everything I hear from friends still there confirms the stressful nature of crossing that huge metro area today -- and that's in a car.

I'm looking on google maps at Atlanta right now at about 3pm CDT Thursday, 4/18/19 and I'm counting 5 annotated accidents on the interstate loop 285 that you would drive on to avoid downtown. There's another on I-75 just north of the loop you would drive past and one downtown if you chose that way. Plus it shows stopped traffic all over downtown. Good thing it isn't rush hour.

I imagine you've already investigated every different way, but the Asheville-Coloumbia-Savannah route only adds 80 miles and 90 minutes and looks like it would be a lot more scenic, which gets my attention.

Cutting out Columbia and heading due south through Augusta cuts a few miles and adds a few minutes because it is not interstate through that stretch, but my recollection of that area is that driving through it was pleasant.

Just a few alternatives to think about. I prefer non-interstate routes whenever I have the time. When I'm on my bike, that's most of the time. Unfortunately, those 1k+ mile trips pretty much require interstate routes.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750 Chris View Post
If you're planning on Interstate down to Naples then stopping at Calhoun is fine since its right off of I-75. From there I'd get on state 53 to Rome, going through Cedartown, Carollton and down to LaGrange.

Jump over to 185 into Columbus (my home town, incidentally but I haven't lived there since the early 70's). Get on US 27/280 through Cusseta and Dawson. Pass through Albany heading towards Tifton. Then its back on I-75 all the way to Naples.

Atlanta is horrible traffic 24 hours a day. There is no good time of the day or day of the week. Damned if I know where everyone is going.
Hey, that looks like a great route! Thanks a million! I had originally plotted a route where I get off the interstate at Marietta and took surface streets to the west through Lithia Springs and around to Forest Park. Your suggestion adds a few more miles but, probably saves me from Atlanta surface street traffic. Probably better scenery, too. I think this is my new plan.

Last edited by JimCanaday; 04-19-2019 at 08:40 AM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I used to have to go to Atlanta for work now and then a long time ago and it was the pits way back when. I liked Atlanta ok in general, but did not like driving around it or through it at all and this is back when I was young and immortal. Everything I hear from friends still there confirms the stressful nature of crossing that huge metro area today -- and that's in a car.

I'm looking on google maps at Atlanta right now at about 3pm CDT Thursday, 4/18/19 and I'm counting 5 annotated accidents on the interstate loop 285 that you would drive on to avoid downtown. There's another on I-75 just north of the loop you would drive past and one downtown if you chose that way. Plus it shows stopped traffic all over downtown. Good thing it isn't rush hour.

I imagine you've already investigated every different way, but the Asheville-Coloumbia-Savannah route only adds 80 miles and 90 minutes and looks like it would be a lot more scenic, which gets my attention.

Cutting out Columbia and heading due south through Augusta cuts a few miles and adds a few minutes because it is not interstate through that stretch, but my recollection of that area is that driving through it was pleasant.

Just a few alternatives to think about. I prefer non-interstate routes whenever I have the time. When I'm on my bike, that's most of the time. Unfortunately, those 1k+ mile trips pretty much require interstate routes.
Ouch! If I'd reached out here before making reservations for the night in Calhoun GA, I agree - that would probably have been the better choice. But I'm locked in now. I think I'll be taking the route to west suggested by 750 Chris.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:19 PM

You won't go into actual Columbus at all so while there is a bit of traffic, its not in-town type. Its really quite comfortable. 185 dead-ends into the main gate of Fort Benning but you won't go that far before turning off eastward. Albany is a nice place. This route will put you on 2-lane roads and sometimes on 4-lanes. A nice mixture. Just remember to go the speed limits in the towns and you'll do fine.

Its been five years since I've been back to Georgia (mom's funeral) but I doubt anything has substantially changed, if at all. Perhaps Atlanta traffic is worse.

750 Chris In VRA forum
750 Guy In VROC forum
Fully retired now
2005 Yamaha Virago 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Of course you can also just go the above route to Carollton but then go to Newnan, and find state 54 eastward to Griffin. Pass through Griffin and I-75 is just a few miles away. Then you'll be able to eat up the miles again on the freeway. I guess it depends on if you want a more scenic route of a faster one. Options, options.....

750 Chris In VRA forum
750 Guy In VROC forum
Fully retired now
2005 Yamaha Virago 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:16 AM

Can’t you some how take 25E to I40E to I26South...64 east then catch 501 south ...I see you can catch25 and go south pretty much all the way to Asheville...

BE WHO YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE

Last edited by Notgrownup; 04-20-2019 at 08:24 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:32 AM
KCW

Garage
I have no experience riding past Atlanta, but go past Washington DC 3 or four times a year.

I have found coming down from PA heading for 95, its usually better to by pass DC by staying on 15, to 17, and catching 95 on the other side of DC at Fredricksburg Maryland. If it was 3AM my bypass route would add maybe half an hour, but nearly anytime in the day or evening DC traffic is stop and go, and can take hours longer.

The thing is, google maps and my GPS never suggests my bypass route - I found it myself, its mostly secondary two lane roads, but its almost always faster and far less aggravating to drive.

and here is the connection between this and your route around Atalanta: google maps and GPS is going to tell EVERYONE to take the same path, and its not going to tell anyone to take the secondary roads. When the highways are like parking lots, no one will be on the secondary roads, because the trip planners tell everyone to go the same way.

Sit down with a map and find your own way around Atlanta, or use the experience of others here, and tell the computer trip planning functions what to go do with themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode