Riding from Ohio to FL - Avoid Atlanta? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Riding from Ohio to FL - Avoid Atlanta?

Hey US Southeast! North Central rider here. I've got a work conference in Naples FL next month and, I'm planning on riding down; because who wouldn't!! Now, I ride through Dayton OH (home) all the time. No big deal. Ridden through Cincinnati without issue. Took a trip last year and rode through Nashville on the way to Memphis (and back). No problem.

But I hear Atlanta GA is a NIGHTMARE! Is there a decent path around it (farther out than the I-285, which I hear is just as bad as straight through)? I have a planned overnight stop in Calhoun GA so, I'll be leaving there on a Tuesday morning. The return trip will have me going through/around ATL on the following Sunday - probably mid-afternoon.

Any guidance appreciated!
Redbird58 likes this.

2001 V-Star 650 Classic - purchased in 2017 w/ 10.5K miles
2014 Stratoliner S - purchased in 2018 w/ 0 miles (Original Owner!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Garage
I have relatives in ATL...Every time we go there it just stress's me out...Tons of traffic and they just fly...I do not know how my relatives taught their kids to drive because it truly is like a NASCAR event...Cars behind tucked up so tight you can not see their grill. 6 lanes or more of traffic...Good luck!

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:56 PM

Garage
I used to drive long haul and Atlanta was by far the worst city to drive through (including NYC and Toronto). Unfortunately I don't know of any way around as an 18 wheeler isn't something you want to "try" shortcuts with. I always just stuck it out and tried to get there off peak traffic times, at night if possible. If you can't find a reasonably short way around, be careful.
JonMaz2112 likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
I used to drive long haul and Atlanta was by far the worst city to drive through (including NYC and Toronto). Unfortunately I don't know of any way around as an 18 wheeler isn't something you want to "try" shortcuts with. I always just stuck it out and tried to get there off peak traffic times, at night if possible. If you can't find a reasonably short way around, be careful.
Yeah, a guy I'm going to visit on the way down said to go through after 10 PM. That's just not a viable option. For one thing, the factory windshield on my '14 Stratoliner has horrible glare from the speedo right in my line of sight. One of these days I may replace it with a Memphis Shades Batwing and lower wind screen but for now, I really try to avoid night driving. It's not really so bad in well lit areas but, once I get out away from streetlights, I really almost cannot see the road in front of me. So, it's daytime driving. I guess I'll just rely on Google Maps to get me around it.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:21 PM
KCW

Garage
If the company is sending you, I would fly down, and maybe rent a bike while in Tampa to explore locally.

1500 miles each way is a good three day trip in each direction, it stops being fun when its an ordeal.

From Naples to Georgia border is almost 400 miles of straight flat boring motorcycle purgatory.

If I was riding I would take 77 over to 95 and ride down the coast. The temp in central florida is 20 degrees higher or more than along the east coast. then cut over across the everglades.
YammyV and JonMaz2112 like this.

Last edited by KCW; 04-16-2019 at 06:34 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
If the company is sending you, I would fly down, and maybe rent a bike while in Tampa to explore locally.

1500 miles each way is a good three day trip in each direction, it stops being fun when its an ordeal.

If I was riding I would take 77 over to 95 and ride down the coast. The temp in central florida is 20 degrees higher or more than along the east coast. then cut over across the everglades.
Oh, trust me... the company would much rather I fly. I'm riding because I want to. I'm sure they're not going to pay me 58 cents/mile for the whole trip. We have a 500 mile (each way) cap and, they may not reimburse me any more than a flight would cost (less than $300). I don't care. I got the Strat to take trips on.

And, I'm doing it in 3 days. Dayton OH to Calhoun GA on Day 1 (444 miles); Calhoun to Dunnelin FL on Day 2 (435 miles) and, Dunnelin to Naples day 3 (261 miles). Reverse will be approximately the same after a 4 day conference. I did Dayton to just short of Memphis (Brownsville) TN in a day (471 miles) last year so, I don't see it being a problem. Of course, day 2 will actually be longer if I go around Atlanta - which I plan to do. I did have one day between going to B'ville and coming back... I've never done back-to-back rides that long. But, I usually usually stop more often than just for gas.
KCW likes this.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCanaday View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post

Oh, trust me... the company would much rather I fly. I'm riding because I want to. I'm sure they're not going to pay me 58 cents/mile for the whole trip. We have a 500 mile (each way) cap and, they may not reimburse me any more than a flight would cost (less than $300). I don't care. I got the Strat to take trips on.

And, I'm doing it in 3 days. Dayton OH to Calhoun GA on Day 1 (444 miles); Calhoun to Dunnelin FL on Day 2 (435 miles) and, Dunnelin to Naples day 3 (261 miles). Reverse will be approximately the same after a 4 day conference. I did Dayton to just short of Memphis (Brownsville) TN in a day (471 miles) last year so, I don't see it being a problem. Of course, day 2 will actually be longer if I go around Atlanta - which I plan to do. I did have one day between going to B'ville and coming back... I've never done back-to-back rides that long. But, I usually usually stop more often than just for gas.
Well, the $300 would at least cover your gas!

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 04-16-2019 at 08:45 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

Why not start on 71 towards Charlotte and stay along the coast, avoid the ATL are completely? I have a daughter living in ATL and have seen the traffic.

Have fun, we know you will.
graybeard likes this.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCanaday View Post
Yeah, a guy I'm going to visit on the way down said to go through after 10 PM. That's just not a viable option. For one thing, the factory windshield on my '14 Stratoliner has horrible glare from the speedo right in my line of sight. One of these days I may replace it with a Memphis Shades Batwing and lower wind screen but for now, I really try to avoid night driving. It's not really so bad in well lit areas but, once I get out away from streetlights, I really almost cannot see the road in front of me. So, it's daytime driving. I guess I'll just rely on Google Maps to get me around it.
Can you adjust the back-lighting so you don't have that glare riding at night?

On my Road Star there is a key/button sequence to adjust the lighting.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 AM
KCW

Garage
Angle / rake the windshield forward a bit and the refection of the speedo will drop down lower.

On my 650 the speedo reflection looks like a big wall clock, floating about 100 feet infront of the bike, down below my line of site. Too bad its too blurry to read, and backwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode