Need a good repair shop - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Need a good repair shop

I know this is the worse time of year to try to take a bike to the shop but I need to get my bike made road worthy. We took the bike to a shop today in Jacksonville NC ( 20 miles north of us) but he wanted to do way more than was needed right now.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good repair shop in the Wilmington NC or Jacksonville NC area, who will work on a older bike and just do the bare minimum but properly?

Safety First, Comfort Second, Speed Always.
Consider, your decisions often affect others more than you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:35 PM

Garage
Do it yourself. I am poor. Always have been poor. When I had money, I was too busy working to do things like having a bike etc. Anyway, I bought my first snowmobile at an auction. It looked ok but needed work and I had no money. I went to a snowmobile shop and photocopied pages from the parts manual and took apart the snowmobile while looking at the parts manual. I saw where it had been badly rebuilt, broken parts etc etc and rebuilt the snowmobile (mostly suspension, clutch and chain case). I did the same thing to an ATV and then a few outboard motors. Sure.....it took me a long time to do the work but I did not have to pay for labour. This was before the internet. Now, you can get all the info and even the videos on how to repair things.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That would be great but I'm not comfortable doing that with some of these problems, if it was something like a go-kart sure or building a street buggy. I'm not wanting to risk messing up the electrical trying to dig out the fuel pump that needs to be replaced, or do the brakes wrong which would hurt when I found out. Safety first, comfort second, speed always, rules to live by if you do it right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 PM
KCW

Garage
Im curious what the shop told you needed to be done?

Getting your dad's bike running again would be a great accomplishment, whether you do it yourself of pay someone else to have at it.

Without going back thru your original thread on repairing it, I dont remember where it got left off.

Google maps can be useful finding a good mechanic at a bike shop. You have to take the comments that are posted about any business with a grain of rocksalt, there are always customers who want their engine rebuilt for $100, and people who drag in bikes that look like they were pulled out of the Erie Canal, and cant understand why the mechanic could not fix them

but if a dealer/shop/garage has 100 reviews and most of them are good, its a good bet you will get a fair deal there.

If you are not familiar with this, pull up google maps and search for motorcycle dealers, motorcycle repair, and when the map flags nearby businesses there will usually be comments and review on the side bar (on the left side of the screen).

I use this for restaurants when Im taking the great american motorbike road trip, look at the towns I will be riding thru, and its easy to pick out the best local places to get food.
Yamaha Pat likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I know there is a issue with fuel delivery after the filter, the rear brake hangs up, brake light isn't right, and I need it inspected but the fella we took it to today said it would be 2 weeks till he looked at it, and he would have to pretty much redo all the work I have done so he knows the bike is right. I just need it run well enough and safe enough that I can relearn what the msf taught me a few years ago. It should not take the fifteen hundred dollars the man quoted.
Googled motorcycle repair near me and it shows all the repair shops (cars, boats, so on) but it feels woefully empty of nondealer repair, who apparently won't work on 15+y,o, bikes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode