good roads in the Florida panhandle? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By bigdaddyl
  • 2 Post By bigdaddyl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
good roads in the Florida panhandle?

every day I have to ride hwy 98 between Gulf Breeze and Mary Esther FL to and from work, which is a dangerous, trying, frustrating ride. When I started riding I lived in SE PA, where there are no shortage of nice cruising roads.

I'm looking for some nice tree covered riding roads. Ive found hwy 29 running from Cantonment to Florala is nice, but I'm really looking for a nice long 2 lane to just relax and enjoy the sights.

The run from pensacola beach to navarre beach is ok, except for the sand, speed bumps, and "bird crossings". I do the run at least twice a year during a full moon. The water is a sight to see.

ISRA #4642
98 VStar 650 Classic
Ignant is Bliss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 PM
eGo

What about 20? I've only ridden part of it when I went to visit my in-laws at their summer house in Freeport, but it seemed to meet your criteria.. At least between Niceville and Bruce.. I know that's a little further east.. But, might be just the types of roads your looking for.

GL!

eGo
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
as soon as it stops raining, and I get the bike fixed, ill check it out

ISRA #4642
98 VStar 650 Classic
Ignant is Bliss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:37 PM

Try the run from Milton to Defuniak (90), then south on HWY 331 to HWY 20, then east through Niceville back home via 98.

A really nice run is HWY 30A east of SanDestin - that's very scenic and outs at Panama City Beach back onto HWY 98.

And if you really want a longer ride, run west on 98 to Perdido Key then Orange Beach then take the Dauphin Island Ferry to Dauphin Island....ferry price includes return trip.
BigBuddha76 and BigBuddha76 like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 10:54 AM

Garage
Scenic hwy to 90 go west from there you will go a long way out on 90 (also known as 9 mile rd.) there is a couple of good old biker (not rough bars though) bars the first is Chaddywhackers. They have outdoor entertainment and good parties. They also have buses converted to party buses that you can rent out and party all around town in. The second one is a little jewel tucked back off the road just before you cross the state line into Alabama it is called Ruby's. This one is indeed old and has a lot of old bikers there. My dad was the one who showed me Ruby's he is a biker from way back. You can take 90 all the way though to Lillian Al. then either head north towards Bay Minette and some really nice backwoods roads riding just north of there or head south down towards Orange Beach and the ever beautiful Gulf Coast. Some nice roads in Pensacola to travel down would be Burgess to Creighton, there are some nice curves and believe it or not a steep albeit short hills. Creighton will take you all the way to Scenic hwy.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. ~Author Unknown
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNight View Post
Scenic hwy to 90 go west from there you will go a long way out on 90 (also known as 9 mile rd.) there is a couple of good old biker (not rough bars though) bars the first is Chaddywhackers. They have outdoor entertainment and good parties. They also have buses converted to party buses that you can rent out and party all around town in. The second one is a little jewel tucked back off the road just before you cross the state line into Alabama it is called Ruby's. This one is indeed old and has a lot of old bikers there. My dad was the one who showed me Ruby's he is a biker from way back. You can take 90 all the way though to Lillian Al. then either head north towards Bay Minette and some really nice backwoods roads riding just north of there or head south down towards Orange Beach and the ever beautiful Gulf Coast. Some nice roads in Pensacola to travel down would be Burgess to Creighton, there are some nice curves and believe it or not a steep albeit short hills. Creighton will take you all the way to Scenic hwy.
Will have to check those out - especially Creighton. Lillian Hwy is nice through the small towns. Found a couple nice shady road rides - Bob Sikes road off 285 north from Niceville. Bob Sikes runs to 331 in Defuniak, then take 331 south towards Freeport but turn east onto Rock Hill Road. Then turn north on SR 81 (towards Ponce) - you can continue to Ponce and catch 90 back or try out some of the back roads (westward) on the way up.
MrNight and MrNight like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode