Florida, Emerald Coast Help! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By eGo
  • 2 Post By sonysnek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
eGo

Florida, Emerald Coast Help!

Hey Guys & Gals,

I have finally gotten my bike down to Florida but I'm having some problems.. I'm sure the answer is going to be "clean the carbs" but I want to throw this out there.. I tried starting the bike today and it would turn over and when it started it was only firing on the rear cylinder, but lots of gas coming out of the exhaust and the front cylinder is cold where the rear cylinder is warm. So, I'm going to change the plugs in hopes that may be the answer, but I pulled the carbs and didn't see any issues with the jets.. Removed them and they were clear. Maybe there is somebody in the area that wouldn't mind riding over for a day and giving me a hand or shedding some light on what I might be doing wrong? I'm really trying to avoid taking it to the shop, but it seems like every spring I'm battling this issue. The only spring I didn't have to fight with it was last spring, she started off stubborn and was spitting gas out the tail pipe, but straightened out after about 5 minutes of riding. This spring I can't get her to stay running long enough to do that. Hoping the Florida weather will allow me to ride enough from now on that I'll never have to park her for more than a week again.. haha

TIA!

eGo
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:26 PM

I would suggest looking at the fuel filter, and changing the gas. How old is the gas? When ya change plugs, check to see if yer gettin spark from the front one. Let us know what ya find.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Sonysnek
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
eGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnek View Post
I would suggest looking at the fuel filter, and changing the gas. How old is the gas? When ya change plugs, check to see if yer gettin spark from the front one. Let us know what ya find.
Fuel filter is good, I also drained the gas to make sure there wasn't any water in the tank prior to trying to start. I changed the plugs last night and got it running right. But a new problem popped up... I was out riding for about 10 minutes and she started to get sluggish and want to die out. Then when I came to a stop I couldn't keep her running. So my guess is the stator is going bad. I was having issues before where every 3 or 4 days the battery wouldn't be charged enough to start the bike, so I started keeping it on a tender. My guess is the stator isn't charging the battery properly which is what's leaving me stranded. So that's my new mission, to troubleshoot and replace the stator as needed..

eGo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode