Legal earplugs may be coming to Ohio! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By JimCanaday
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By JimCanaday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Legal earplugs may be coming to Ohio!

Just ran across an article in the Dayton Daily News; The House has passed a bill allowing earplugs (but not earbuds) while riding. The House vote was unanimous and the bill now goes to the Senate.

(Slightly) more information here:
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...j0OPhR0LkvzUK/

Buckeyes! Call or write your state senator!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Edited to say earbuds *not* allowed (still).
lesblank and Redbird58 like this.

2001 V-Star 650 Classic - purchased in 2017 w/ 10.5K miles
2014 Stratoliner S - purchased in 2018 w/ 0 miles (Original Owner!)

Last edited by JimCanaday; 06-28-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:26 PM
KCW

Garage
had to read the link to make sense of all this

Ive worn earplugs with my FF helmet on long rides. Not that my bike is loud (stock exhaust) but it makes the noise level better and prevents fatigue.

Ive never considered whether it was legal in NY or PA before.

I guess the issue is in Ohio you can ride at 85mph with no helmet? YeeehAW! yeah, you would go deaf from the wind blast.

If you ride with a helmet no one can tell if you are wearing earplugs.

If you have a windshield on the bike you probably dont need them.
Redbird58 and JonMaz2112 like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh, trust me. I ride in Ohio with earplugs all the time, with both my FF (Bell Qualifier) and my modular (Shoei Neotec 2). I've been told that, if pulled over, it's a police option whether or not to cite it. Obviously it's not a 'primary offense' - even if you're not wearing a helmet, I don't think they can pull you over just for that. But I'm still happy they're changing it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
KCW and Redbird58 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:26 AM

Garage
Jim, I will have to ask a friend who is a instructor at the Motorcycle Ohio Rider Safety courses abut the ear buds. I could have swore he told me you could wear a single ear bud but not 2. I will check with him and update. The ear plug may be a separate issue but I will ask anyhow.
** I did clarify with him and it is now legal to wear earplugs in Ohio.*** I ride with a single ear bud in when using the GPS. I feel it is a safer option than diverting my eyes to a bar mounted GPS. In my opinion of course....Enjoy the heat and humidity in OH!

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride

Last edited by Redbird58; 06-28-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added text
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird58 View Post
Jim, I will have to ask a friend who is a instructor at the Motorcycle Ohio Rider Safety courses abut the ear buds. I could have swore he told me you could wear a single ear bud but not 2. I will check with him and update. The ear plug may be a separate issue but I will ask anyhow.
** I did clarify with him and it is now legal to wear earplugs in Ohio.*** I ride with a single ear bud in when using the GPS. I feel it is a safer option than diverting my eyes to a bar mounted GPS. In my opinion of course....Enjoy the heat and humidity in OH!
Oh. I guess I could have mentioned that. That existing law says you can't have plugs/buds in both ears. Also, I guess I should say, you can have speakers that are "built in to protective headgear". I'm assuming that if manufacturer supplies cut-outs for inserting other speakers, it's OK too. So, yeah - One earbud is OK. So is one earplug but, what good is that?

If you really want to see what the law says, that's here: Lawriter - ORC - 4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.

I don't see how a Ohio Motorcycle Rider Safety Instructor can say that it's now legal. According to the Dayton Daily News, it has to get past the Senate and get signed off by the Governor. I'd like to know his source on that.

Last edited by JimCanaday; 06-28-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Additional comment.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:11 PM
KCW

Garage
using one earbud for hand-free phone calls would be normal

I have hearing aids, and the bluetooth connection to my phone is only in my right ear for phone calls. I guess its because people are use to holding a phone to one ear and it might freak people out to hear someone talking with a voice in the middle of your head.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:17 PM

Garage
I had asked him by e mail back in March about if i could run my passing lamps all the time or if they could only work with low beams etc. He threw in the info about the earplugs. Since it is government I would say it is a safe bet to say that it could take that long to work its way through the system...from concept to law.. I can only assume they go to instructor seminars about what may be on the horizon regarding changes to laws for motorcycles. That way they can present the most up to date info they can for the classes. My full face helmet has the cut out. I like having that because it adds a little comfort plus it keeps my ear bud in place...They tend to fall out of my ears...If I had my way I would use my old Bose headphones while riding...but my kids would laugh at that..

09 V Star 950

Enjoy the ride
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird58 View Post
I had asked him by e mail back in March about if i could run my passing lamps all the time or if they could only work with low beams etc. He threw in the info about the earplugs. Since it is government I would say it is a safe bet to say that it could take that long to work its way through the system...from concept to law.. I can only assume they go to instructor seminars about what may be on the horizon regarding changes to laws for motorcycles. That way they can present the most up to date info they can for the classes. My full face helmet has the cut out. I like having that because it adds a little comfort plus it keeps my ear bud in place...They tend to fall out of my ears...If I had my way I would use my old Bose headphones while riding...but my kids would laugh at that..
Oddly enough, the Ohio Motorcycle Operator Manual - the one they give you at the License Bureau to prepare you for the tests - specifically says, in the 'Wear the right gear' section: "Hearing protection reduces noise while allowing you to hear important sounds such as car horns or sirens. Long term exposure to engine and wind noise can cause permanent hearing damage even if you wear a full face helmet." So, they recommend wearing them. Of course, it goes on to say: "Whether you chooses disposable foam plugs or reusable custom molded devices, be sure you adhere to state laws regarding hearing protection."

So, that first part *could* be where he's getting that.

By the way... what did he say about the 'passing lamps'. I've often wondered. I also wonder why they call them passing lamps on a motorcycle in the first place. I'm not going to reach my thumb out to flash those things. I just leave them on during the day. I've been known to turn them off at night except during low speed maneuvering, though; just because I'm not sure how much the shine in opposing traffic's eyes.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:06 PM
KCW

Garage
been discussing the passing lights over here: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...-position.html

Im more inclined to call them daytime running lights....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:08 PM

Garage
Jim, Here is the excerpt from his e mail back to me.

You can have the running lights on all the time (along with your headlight). You can flash your headlights or running lights for pass warning. If you have a passing mode on you headlight switch, I would wire it so it operates like my Harley. Itís a more effective passing signal if your high beam turns on and running lights turn off at the same time, flashed twice. Itís more attention grabbing in my opinion. But with that said, flashing just your high beam or running lights independently will work.

passing lamps...running lights...attention getters...tomato...tomatto.. I run mine all the time. Better to be seen with. My bike has aLED headlight and the passing lamps are halogen. I am not a fan of LED's at night but they are great during the day. In the motorcycle modifications thread @bevo1981 did a nice write up on lighting.

BTW have you gone over to Clifton Mill lately? Its a nice ride from Hilliard. Kind of a cool place plus a stop at Young's Dairy is an added benefit! And Yellow Springs...Its like time travel back to the 60's!

09 V Star 950

Enjoy the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode