Hello! New rider here - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Hello! New rider here

I've always wanted a motorcycle, and you know, life happens, but I just picked up a Vstar 650 classic and am loving it.

I'm posting in the regional forum because I wanted to know where Minneapolis riders shop for accessories and gear (really need a jacket atm), wrench shops to avoid, and where their favorite day trips have taken them.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Welcome. 650 is a great size bike to learn on. Here, we have a wilson's leather outlet, has tons of stuff, what was $400 is now $50-80. I have 2 jackets and hte lady has one. Considering chaps for the cooler weather, but was always fine with long johns.

Also, online you can get some great deals, but be careful. Fitment is not the same on all jackets, especially leather. I tried close to 5-6 jackets before I found one that had a fit I liked. Arms, chest, waist, all a big deal. I have a narrow waist and big chest and big arms, but i'm very short. So it's hard to find something that fits me. Each brand has different cuts as well. Guess had a good cut at a good price for me.

Enjoy, take it easy, spend some weekends riding the country-side. I mean 4-5 hours in the saddle on a saturday or sunday with no particular destination, just try to stay away from congestion. It will do wonders.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:30 AM

Welcome from the West Coast!

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 PM

Greetings. I am also in search of a shop because my local dealer expanded too fast when the economy was booming, and now is in a chapter 7 liquidation to pay off creditors. I prefer to stick to shops that are Star dealers, at least until I get stung by one.

Being a bit frugal, I bought my leathers from Fleet Farm (Milwaukee brand). With included liners they are good well down into the 40s. Colder than that I'd opt for a snowmobile suit.

As for day rides, I could recommend crossing the Mississippi at Redwing and heading south on WI 35. Cross back into MN at Wabasha and continue west on MN 60 to Zumbro Falls. Turn right onto MN 57 to Lake City, and then follow US 61 back to the Twin Cities.

Another option would be a day trip down into the unglaciated portion of southeastern MN. MN 43 from Winona to Rushford, MN 16 from Rushford to Preston, and US 52 north to the Twin Cities. Anything in southeastern MN and southwestern WI offers fantastic day rides. When you're in the mood for several long days to a week on the bike, a trip to Copper Harbor in the MI UP is a nice ride or a loop around Lake Superior is hard to beat.

On the stricly local side, a ride through the Cannon River valley through the town of Welch is enjoyable but often crowded due to its proximity to the metro area.

Welcome, and enjoy

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyz View Post
I've always wanted a motorcycle, and you know, life happens, but I just picked up a Vstar 650 classic and am loving it.

I'm posting in the regional forum because I wanted to know where Minneapolis riders shop for accessories and gear (really need a jacket atm), wrench shops to avoid, and where their favorite day trips have taken them.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Motorcycle.com Free App
I just picked up my first bike (a '98 650 Custom) on Saturday, so I can't recommend a shop. I can, however, say I have been extremely happy with the guys at The Hitching Post in Fridley. I spent a few hours there on multiple occasions while waiting for my MSF course asking questions about gear and bikes.
They took their time answering questions and having me sit on a bunch of different bikes and they had me try on a bunch of helmets and jackets just to educate me on the price ranges and options. This was all after I told them I knew nothing and wasn't really going to buy anything until next season.

Sorry that got long, but I am also hoping to cruise up to the Dennis Kirk outlet (Rush City, MN) at some point over the winter to try to get some crazy deals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode