Best Iowa Roads? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Best Iowa Roads?

Who has a favorite? Mine has to be C9Y and then the river road down to Savana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtom View Post
Who has a favorite? Mine has to be C9Y and then the river road down to Savana.
I'm just up the road from you in the City of Five Smells. I looked for the roads you mentioned, but couldn't find what you were talking about. Can you give me more details?

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 AM

C9Y Breaks off of US-52 closer to the Mississippi River, north of Balltown. Probably one of my favorites as well. I assume vwtom is referring to US-52, south of Dubuque, when mentioning "the river road down to Savanna."

If you haven't been to Balltown, do so, the roads leading there are all fairly nice. There's a nice overlook north of town. The stop at Breitbach's is usually fun, especially if you can avoid the crowd. Breitbach's has a buffet, but you can also order off a menu. Sunday Brunch is pretty good. The food isn't spectacular, but it always tends to put a smile on everyone's face.

Check out the roads between Elkader and Guttenburg. There are a number of roads between those two towns, that are fun rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:49 AM

137 between Eddyville and Albia nice smooth winding blacktop on the way to Lake Rathbun. F52 trail is pretty nice too. Also I kinda like 151 on the way into Cedar Rapids on the way to Genghis Grill from my House.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:27 PM

In the Sept issue of Rider, Salvadori had a neat little story called "Crossing Iowa", sounded like a pretty nice ride.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midget View Post
Also I kinda like 151 on the way into Cedar Rapids on the way to Genghis Grill from my House.
That's quite a ride for some Mongolian barbecue. It's also (at least part of it is) my daily drive to and from work.

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliente Pocket View Post
That's quite a ride for some Mongolian barbecue. It's also (at least part of it is) my daily drive to and from work.
Its the best damn mongolian bar b que in the state though lol. We try to get up there once a month.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 04:29 PM

I live up in LaCrosse, WI, but am originally from Cedar Falls, IA..I LOVE this ride and usually do it 2 or 3 times a year.......

You start at Brownsville MN and head south on 26 you will go through Reno, MN and New Albin, IA. When you enter Lansing, IA head east on 82 over the river and try to look down on the open bridge in Lansing. You've then crossed over into Wisconsin and can head up on the other (eastern) shore of the river. Now travel along the river on WI 35 up into La Crosse where you can cross back over the river and into MN on US 61/14 and into La Crescent, MN. Here you can take Route 16 south and finish your loop in Brownsville, MN.
Scenery

Good view of the Mississippi river and of the neighboring hills. The majority of the route, hugs the river and you'll be able to take in all that scenery from both the eastern and western shores.
Road Quality

Well use highway with good maintenance and the roads follow hills so you'll enjoy the turns and elevation changes.
Roadside Amenities

There are good places to eat and stop to enjoy the view. The various towns offer gas and food and some of the larger towns like La Crosse have everything you would need/want. The route passes through/near countless parks and wildlife refuge areas like - Kains Lake Wildlife management area, Mounds Wildlife area, Mt Hosemer Park, Blackhawk Park, Bergen Bluff State Natural Area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode