VStar 1100 Moving to Colorado? - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 03:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynorthwest View Post
I have a V-Star 1100 & we're moving to Colorado from the Northwest. Since it's a carbed bike, many are saying I would be better off to sell the bike here & repurchase a bike with FI to ride in Colorado or taking trips from there to other places at sea level. Comments please?
Hello! Welcome to Colorado

As to your question, I've seen some older models struggle at altitude on a few of our mountain rides here. We had a guy on an older, mid eighties Honda have to turn back the other day on our ride to Winter Park due to loss of power. His was a 750 or something tho, the 1100 might be ok. I ride a '13 vstar 1300 (FI) and have been to 10,000+ feet numerous times with no issues.

2013 V-Star 1300
Cobra fi2000 FMS, Switchblade 2-up Windshield Viking saddlebags Cobra slip on exhaust Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:26 PM
KCW

Garage
the real question is: how often do you think you will be riding over the high elevation passes?

Denver is at 5000'. What is the elevation where you are going to live.

They dont put the passes over the peaks, they put them as low as possible.

look at a map with elevations and scope out where you think you will be riding the most. The Rockies are VAST, any rides up through the passes and you are looking at hundreds of miles.

If you landed a job at the gift shop on the summit of Pikes Peak, that is another story.

Last edited by KCW; 09-03-2017 at 06:28 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:52 PM

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
the real question is: how often do you think you will be riding over the high elevation passes?

Denver is at 5000'. What is the elevation where you are going to live.

The dont put the passes over the peaks, they put them as low as possible.

look at a map with elevations and scope out where you think you will be riding the most. The Rockies are VAST, any rides up through the passes and you are looking at hundreds of miles.

If you landed a job at the gift shop on the summit of Pikes Peak, that is another story.
Just my two cents, but if you live in CO and enjoy riding, there is no better place to ride than up in the hills. Especially if you are new to our beautiful state. To the OP, I'd be more than happy to recommend a few day trips if you would like some ideas. Heck, I might even join ya
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2013 V-Star 1300
Cobra fi2000 FMS, Switchblade 2-up Windshield Viking saddlebags Cobra slip on exhaust Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode