VStar 1100 Moving to Colorado? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

VStar 1100 Moving to Colorado?

I have a V-Star 1100 & we're moving to Colorado from the Northwest. Since it's a carbed bike, many are saying I would be better off to sell the bike here & repurchase a bike with FI to ride in Colorado or taking trips from there to other places at sea level. Comments please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:16 AM

Garage
A FI bike will make a difference in higher altitudes.
CatBandit and CatBandit like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Elk

You will definitely want to consider a re-jet. My Honda 750 suffered a severe drop in power over 7500 ft (starting at 5000), but it was pretty under powered to begin with.
I would say ride it a bit and see what you think. Snow is falling in the high country so you will likely have to wait until spring to get a ride an serious elevation.

What part of the state are you moving to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:59 AM

The beauty of Fuel Injection is the ability to adjust the Fuel Air mixture for altitude and temperature. There is less oxygen at higher altitudes and when the air is very warm. Before Fuel Injection folks had motorcycles and cars in those areas. Just a thought.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 06:59 PM

There won't be much difference between your 1100 or an FI bike. It's only 5500' or so. I ride my 1100 from sea level to 10,000' and only have to bump up my idle a little at those very high altitudes. That's the beauty of a CV carb....they are darn good at self-adjustment for altitude. I'm normally riding between 2000'-5500'..... and have no absolutely no special adjustments.

You may consider dropping 1 jet size at some point in time, as you'll be just a touch rich on the mains, but not enough to worry about a whole lot.
CatBandit and CatBandit like this.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 07:26 PM

FI all the way. Personally I would avoid anything that has carbs except for a lawn mower and weed whacker. The ethanol in fuel these days just wreaks too much havoc on them.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 01:27 PM

Location: Iowa - East-central area just 16 miles North of Quad-Cities.
dehingst-
I'm confused. You are in a V-Star forum on a thread for 1100s, but you say you would avoid "anything that has carbs". Since no V-Star has FI from the factory, have you replaced your carbs with fuel injection? If so, was it a difficult or expensive changeover?

Anyway, I've put 140,000 miles on my 2 carbureted V-Stars (650, 1100) over the past 9 years, riding from North Carolina to Denver/Colorado Springs ... without a single problem ... and nearly all on ethanol mixture, I'm wondering where you get your information?? All I've ever had to do is set the idle screw a tad higher when I get in higher altitudes, and all is fine.

A lifetime of doing everything twice...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehingst View Post
FI all the way. Personally I would avoid anything that has carbs except for a lawn mower and weed whacker. The ethanol in fuel these days just wreaks too much havoc on them.

Hmm....I own a carbed motorcycle and have been using ethanol fuel for the past 10 years...haven't had an issue with it at all. My bikes must have missed the memo, they have always run perfectly well.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 12:12 AM

OP did you ever make it out to CO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBandit View Post
dehingst-
I'm confused. You are in a V-Star forum on a thread for 1100s, but you say you would avoid "anything that has carbs". Since no V-Star has FI from the factory, have you replaced your carbs with fuel injection? If so, was it a difficult or expensive changeover?

Anyway, I've put 140,000 miles on my 2 carbureted V-Stars (650, 1100) over the past 9 years, riding from North Carolina to Denver/Colorado Springs ... without a single problem ... and nearly all on ethanol mixture, I'm wondering where you get your information?? All I've ever had to do is set the idle screw a tad higher when I get in higher altitudes, and all is fine.
FWIW, the 950 is fuel injected.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 07:38 AM

Garage
My '09 1300 is FI too,

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2009 VSTAR 1300 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode