Riding The Hill Country Twisties & Sweepers - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Riding The Hill Country Twisties & Sweepers

I plan on having good times in April riding various Texas hill country roads. I will be based at a New Braunfels hotel for 4 nights. I will go on various routes for two days leading up to my all day ride on Ranch Road 337 - one of the best motorcycle roads in Texas.

I would like to hear from you all on any advice for riding the hilly twisties and sweepers and what was surprising to you the first time you went on these type of roads. I plan to take it slow on the curves and lookout for wildlife, gravel/sand, and vehicles in my lane.

2009 Yamaha VStar 650 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM

That's one thing I miss about texas. Open road as far as you could see. Up here I've got to ride for 45-60 minutes to "get away" from it all.

The biggest thing to beware of is the nothingness. Riding with seldom changing scenery can easily lull you into a state of comfort where your senses aren't as aware as they normally are. When riding you should keep a heightened state of awareness at all times, because you never know what is going to come from where. Being in a relaxed state will slow your response time considerably. You will startle more easily as well, causing a knee-jerk reaction, which alone can cause you to lose control. Play awareness games in your head, like spot 5 signs and recite them in your head. May sound silly but it will keep your eyes focused instead of glossing over on the endless nothingness that is often found in texas.

Other than that, good luck, have fun. I've ridden roads all over eastern texas, there's beautiful scenery.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 AM

That was a good plan for this coming April. When you're riding you must be careful and always look at the road to avoid accidents. Don't forget to take pictures and share it with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 AM

If your not use to those kind of roads be carefull.Keep your eyes on the road at all times.Here in ky we have plenty of sharp curves an twisties an i love'em.Thats where i do all my rideing.My brother lives in cleveland texas.Enjoy an BeSafe

09 V STAR 1300
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJay View Post
That's one thing I miss about texas. Open road as far as you could see. Up here I've got to ride for 45-60 minutes to "get away" from it all.

The biggest thing to beware of is the nothingness. Riding with seldom changing scenery can easily lull you into a state of comfort where your senses aren't as aware as they normally are. When riding you should keep a heightened state of awareness at all times, because you never know what is going to come from where. Being in a relaxed state will slow your response time considerably. You will startle more easily as well, causing a knee-jerk reaction, which alone can cause you to lose control. Play awareness games in your head, like spot 5 signs and recite them in your head. May sound silly but it will keep your eyes focused instead of glossing over on the endless nothingness that is often found in texas.

Other than that, good luck, have fun. I've ridden roads all over eastern texas, there's beautiful scenery.

that is some great advice there.

to the OP... i don't know much about texas b/c i've never ridden there. ride safe and take pictures!

BLUE BIKE CLUB
BOBBER CLUB

05 Vstar 650 bobber

13 Harley Street Glide
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 AM

Garage
Talking You wont go to sleep

Have a look at the Texas Hill Country nothingness?
https://www.google.com/search?q=texa...w=1264&bih=786
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM

Just look at the pictures.Thats pretty country.It doesn't look like texas.Thats a nice place to ride a bike.

09 V STAR 1300
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

here's footage i shot of RR337 last spring. didn't see any wildlife on the road for RR337, but there were livestock on the road on one of the other of the three sisters. i would advise to just stay on the speed limit around the curves as they are the the edges of cliffs. don't be in a hurry. but my best advice would be to hit all 3 twisted sisters and not just 337. it's worth it.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM

Great video bevo.I enjoyed it.

09 V STAR 1300

Last edited by dave star; 03-20-2013 at 02:14 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the tips.

Bevo,

Thanks for the extended video clip. Around 1:16 into it, that was one long motorcycle wave. The road through the rock cut-outs looks cool. I am going to have to stop at the Leakey watering hole.

2009 Yamaha VStar 650 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode