YOU ARE VOTING ON NOVEMBER BIKE OF THE MONTH
Make/Model: Yamaha XVS 650 Drag Star (European Model of the V Star)
- 210/50R17 rear wheel mounted in a modified swing
- side mounted license plate
- self built rear fender with taillight integrated in a selfmade fibreglass housing
- self built solo seat
- rear turn signals "spear" bolted to the original fenderstrut attachement point
- stretched and cleaned fuel tank with flush pop up filler cap made by www.stretchtank.com
- Hypercharger with custimized "iron cross" cover
- Silvertail k02 exhaust with racing baffles and shortened upper exhaust manifold
- forward controls made by "burchard"
- 4" Pullback risers
- 92 cm Dragbar with inside wiring
- custom grips and mirrors
- front turn signals "snake eye"
- airdam with selfmade air scoops
- polished stock fork crowns
- polished lower fork tube
- custom made upper fork covers made of polished aluminium
- headlight "snake" with blue lens
- shortened stock front fender
- steel braided cables and brake hose
- mini speedometer with self built holding bracket
- reinforced fork springs
- custom paintjob in candy blue and black, splitted by silver tribals with highlights and shades
Length of time to build: can´t say exactly, about seven months - but some smaller mods were done within the years before
And the story/inspiration/additional comments: I bought the bike in 2005, without any mods. I was always fascinated by the drag bikes, which is a very popular special style in europe. At 1st I started with some smaller and cheaper stuff like license plate relocation and handlebars until i got the time and money to get into the heavy work. Almost everything was made by myself in my garage except the complex metal works like the fuel tank or the painting. Finally (it may be hard to believe for you guys) I had to show the bike to a state engineer to get the approval you need to drive on public roads with a vehicle in our country. Although we´ve got some strong regulations here, I got al the mods approved and incorporated in my documents now.
Modifications:All new body parts (tank cover, intakes, inst cover, fenders, cam cover, primary gear cover, res covers, mirrors. See below.
Accessories: RAM Mount and powered GPS setup, and Tunnel Bag from Saddleman.
Length of time to build: Started 4 days after purchase so April 16th.
And the story/inspiration/additional comments: I wanted to take a rare bike in IL and make it even more my own. Its kind of a Legacy for Vmax owners to mod them. The Vmax is produced to easily change out parts and take it to the next level. I wanted to design the bike after an Icon jacket styling I bought and love - Icon Dead Mans Hand with its skull on the back. The skull theme took off from there.
Here is my Bloomington MaxSkull!
New fenders and tank cover painted and hydro dipped in Big skulls print by Atlanta Hydro Imaging
Yamaha carbon fiber side covers, inst cover, and side intakes
Billet cam covers and pivot covers brushed
Yamaha brushed tear drop mirrors
Python exhaust tips brushed
Python clear primary gear cover polished
Python res covers polished
Helmet Secure helmet lock
not shown Garmin 765T hardwired and RAM mount setup (I pair bluetooth ear buds and a cell and listen to MP3s and GPS command and have hands free cell)
not shown Saddleman Standard Sport Tunnel Bag (for laptop or takeout)