after market exhaust in CA - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Cancun Craig
after market exhaust in CA

Hi. I am a newbie to this forum. I just bought my 2nd 07' Midnight Star, but this has been my 3rd Star bike. I am definitely a big fan. Unfortunately I have been off the road for the last 5 years. Just got back into riding.

The dealer I bought the bike from said they could not put on any after market exhaust. Stock pipes are so quiet they make me nervous. Is there anywhere in Southern Cal (San Diego- Riverside)that I can get some pipes put on ? I dont have the garage or the tech know how to do it myself.

I on my old 07' I had some Hard Krome 2 into 1 after burner or something like that. I loved the look and the sound.

Second question is there a big crack down on loud pipes in so cal. I would not think so, seems like every corner I hear pipes on Harleys and Metrics bikes everywhere.

Any suggestions are super appreciated.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 01:41 AM

There is no law here in California regarding exhaust noise. The only one that applies is general disturbing the peace. The issue is with the emissions equipment. All modern bikes have a catalytic converter to reduce emissions. It is illegal to remove them just about everywhere. The problem with the star bikes is the cat is in the muffler. That means legally we can't even use an aftermarket muffler unless it meets California Air Research Board (CARB) certifications. Its a long expensive process to earn a carb certification so you can guess which bikes the few companies that sell certified exhausts made the parts for. Its the one with the high price tag and a bunch of overpriced gear with their names all over it. On some bikes the cat is in the forward pipes or crossover where they should be so you can remove the restrictive muffler and add a slip on and get a nice sound a little power and still have a clean emission. But Yamaha made it hard for us. So basically there is no way to do it legally. If you still want it changed you will need to locate a customs shop that will modify you bike for "off street use". Currently there is still no inspection even in California so unless some cop gets a wild hair you are unlikely to get nailed for it. On the other side, there are many new laws being proposed to have bikes submit to smog checks. Which honestly is fair considering the average V6 and many V8 powered cars built today actually produce less emissions than our v twin motorcycles. If ( read when) these laws pass you will be required to have all original emissions parts on your bike or replace then at your expense. My advise, get a nice slip on, find a local mechanic to install it and keep your factory parts in case you need them. The slip one are very easy if you have any mechanical skills. They literally clamp in place.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 PM

I was talking to the guys (retired cops) who train the Alameda Sheriff 's motorcycle cops and apparently there are a few guys making aftermarket pipes with cats in them now.. didn't pay attention to who 'cause I don't have any interest in louder pipes personally. They also said that the volume isn't a big deal as long as it isn't so crazy as to start car alarms when you go past or cause complaints from the neighbors...

My local stealership (where I get most of my parts) also said they won't install aftermarket pipes unless it's specifically a racing bike... but I discovered in the process of changing the oil that it's actually pretty easy to remove the current parts and slip-on's would literally take two bolts to change out. Even removing the header pipes is easy as can be so if you wanted to change the pipes out yourself I don't see it being a problem unless you are completely incapable of remembering "lefty loosy, righty tighty"

The other cheap option is to drill out the baffles on your stock pipes... plenty of threads discussing that here...

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!

Last edited by M'Lady; 04-18-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in