Max. tire size? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Max. tire size?

I have a 2002 Road Star 1600 and am looking to find out the largest tire that can be mounted in the rear.I want good touring specs.and handling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

A good place to start is measure the air gap you have now between the edge of your drive belt and the side of your rear tire (guessing, 150/something-16). The other limiting factor will be the same gap between the edge of the tire and the swing arm on the opposite side from the drive belt. Next comes the width of the rim. All three need to be checked and one will become the deciding factor. On my previous road star warrior I bumped up the rear tire from the stock 200 to a 260 but that needed some major modifications to the right hand side of the swing arm and I also had to have the rear wheel width increased from 6 inches to 8-1/2 inches. Tire life improved significantly, handling changed slightly but I adapted to it after a 20 minute "get aquainted" ride. After that I had the chicken stripes down to less than 1/4" and was back to scraping in the turns. And then there was the "coolness factor" which can't be described with words. The 260 came within 1/8 of an inch of the drive belt.

This picture shows the disfigured right hand side swing arm to make room for the 260 fatty:

Last edited by stratowart; 07-14-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

Oh, and why is this topic in the U.S. West section?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

And I also see that your very first post is not in the new member introduction section. Very Strange???

Old 05-17-2012, 05:22 AM

Without modifying your bike, 160/80-16 is as large as you can go, stock is 150/80 so it's not a huge difference, but it's some.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in