Trailering across the border to Bike Week - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to roadstarjenks
Trailering across the border to Bike Week

Hey everyone. I'm looking at heading down to Daytona next week with a stop in Myrtle Beach on the way back. Wondering if anyone has experience taking their bike over the border in a trailer? Paperwork needed? Special lane going or coming back? Any feedback or input would be appreciated. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Man, that's a trek for sure!

Don't have any info for you, but I'm impressed with your biking enthusiasm.

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Re: Trailering across the border to Bike Week

Thanks... I flew down to Daytona a couple of years ago and rented from Eagle Rider. Really enjoyed getting in some riding time after a long cold and snowy winter in central Ontario. Found Eagle Rider very expensive with surcharges added for Bike Week. So now that I have a truck and trailer I've been planning to trailer to South Carolina then ride the rest of the way... Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 PM

Garage
Hey roadstarjenks, how was the trip down? Any issues at the border? Let us know so that we can learn from your experience. Tell us about the stay down there also; you must have some good stories

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone

Trailering down to bike week was much easier than I thought. I crossed at Detroit and took the RV lane, which is to the right of the car lanes when crossing the Ambassador bridge. I had my truck, trailer and bike ownership in hand along with my passport. I left the trailer side door unlocked.

After the swiping my passport, usual questions the border guard ask me to turn off the truck, took my keys and entered the trailer... Had a few questions like how long in the States...that was it. You have to pay a toll before entering Detroit and/or getting on i75. Truck and trailer was $9.50 USD.

Reverse coming home...had all paperwork ready at the Canadian border...asked me questions where my truck, trailer and bike were registered ( Ontario). Was on my way...no problem.

Took 23 hours to get from the Barrie, Ontario region to the Daytona Beach area. Pretty simply drive down i75. After careful research I decided this route - less mountain driving, less tolls, more gas stations, rest stops and places to eat etc.

Highly recommend going to Daytona Beach and bike week. Lots to see and do. Early riding, while snow and ice at home, was really fantastic.

Hope some of my experience and feedback helps.

Cheers
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 AM

Glad you had a good time. When it's warmer you should take the trek on the bike.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode