Aussies - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Aussies

Looks like i will be the first Aussie to start off.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 AM

Makes two of us.... I think there are a few others here but havent posted up in the Aus section. Ill start with a brief description, im 25 like long walks on the beach and outdoor activities...........oh wait wrong website!! i have a 2006 vstar 1100 that i picked up a few years ago from a deceased estate with about 2000kms on the clock, she has V&H pipes and i added some billet grips which so far is all thats been done to her. ive got a lowering kit and hd spring waiting to be installed and theres some other bits and peices im going to source over the next few weeks.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Aussie

Gday Dan...I am Wayne...Live in Mandurah West Aussie where we have no water unlike you who has plenty of water...Lots of fires over my way... last 2 days fire north of me took out 60 + homes...I am 56 and ride a Roadliner and am still deciding what i want to add...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:16 PM

Hey Frog ive been catching a bit on the news about the fires over there its just terrible!! luckily for me townsville wasnt hit to bad by Yasi so all that happened to me was i lost power. Ive gotten my bits and peices off www.pacificcoaststar.com they where very helpful and i thought well priced and have a great range of stuff for the yamaharleys.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 AM

G'Day Fella's. I'm Glen. I'm on the wrong end of 40 and this is the first forum that I have ever used and still trying to get used to it. It's been good talking to people from all over the place.
Bad fires Wayne, I've lived the the Blue Mountains for years and have been through some bad ones but none that took out houses like that in WA. With all this rain the Eastcoast has had there is a lot of new growth coming through here and too little control burns so the next one we have will be a worry. Dan I'll have a look at www.pacificcoaster.com as I hadn't heard of that one and am always on the lookout for a better deal like the rest of us. I am just getting back into bikes after a long long time and have been ordering some accessories through www.cruisercustomising.com and a couple of other places that I can't remember the names of at the moment. Don't know if QLD and WA are the same but NSW is terrible when it comes to trying to find accessories. Even our local bike wrecker told me Star bike bits go as soon as they come in.
As for my old bike I have been doing it up for a while and still have to get it blue slipped/registered which I'm hoping to so real soon. She is old and high on klms but it'll do me for my pace.

Last edited by Aussielad; 02-15-2011 at 03:42 AM. Reason: change of paragraph
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:39 AM

Mates I am having a decision problem, I am living in Alaska right now, I am 54, I own two bikes a 1980 Honda CX500 Deluxe and a 2009 XVS1300Tourer that I have tweaked around a bit with new tires, handlebar risers, done the exhaust mods and etc. So its my ride, it only has 1350 miles on it! Mostly its because I work all summer and winters in Alaska is not good for bikes.

Anyway I have never been to Oz, but I have been driving concrete mixers for over 15 years and that job pays good and has a demand in Oz or NZ plus your season is opposite ours so I'm making plans to fly down and work there during your summer, the area I am thinking is way south where the temps are more moderate. Probably Victoria.

Most everyone is saying its too expensive to bring a bike into Australia, duty taxes, inspections etc. So I'm just curious, what is the most popular bike down there? I would rather stay loyal to Yamaha as I think they are superior to most. Are cruisers too big or too expensive to buy?

It may be that I could wind up settling down there, I have seen all of America, Australia sounds like a country that will arise ahead of others what with all the political problems going on here, and I don't care about gun ownership stuff, I have more than I need anyway.

Thanks, and somber regards to those affected by the NZ earthquake.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado6x6 View Post
Mates I am having a decision problem, I am living in Alaska right now, I am 54, I own two bikes a 1980 Honda CX500 Deluxe and a 2009 XVS1300Tourer that I have tweaked around a bit with new tires, handlebar risers, done the exhaust mods and etc. So its my ride, it only has 1350 miles on it! Mostly its because I work all summer and winters in Alaska is not good for bikes.

Anyway I have never been to Oz, but I have been driving concrete mixers for over 15 years and that job pays good and has a demand in Oz or NZ plus your season is opposite ours so I'm making plans to fly down and work there during your summer, the area I am thinking is way south where the temps are more moderate. Probably Victoria.

Most everyone is saying its too expensive to bring a bike into Australia, duty taxes, inspections etc. So I'm just curious, what is the most popular bike down there? I would rather stay loyal to Yamaha as I think they are superior to most. Are cruisers too big or too expensive to buy?

It may be that I could wind up settling down there, I have seen all of America, Australia sounds like a country that will arise ahead of others what with all the political problems going on here, and I don't care about gun ownership stuff, I have more than I need anyway.

Thanks, and somber regards to those affected by the NZ earthquake.
G'Day Silverado.

If you can drive trucks you will more often than not pick up work here, being such an expansive country with limited rail, a lot is still moved on road, all over the country. You are right about Victoria, probably the most moderate state to aclimatise, especially coming from Alaska.

I don't have any idea of the cost of bringing a bike into the country. I have just gotten back into riding myself after a long long break. It would depend on what you want to ride. I know the Aust, US dollar is pretty even at the moment to give you an idea. Take the 650 V Star for example (as that was what I've been looking at). If you bought a late model it will cost you anywhere between $7500.00 to $12000.00 which I think is a fair bit more than you pay from what I've seen on the forum. Try this link, it is where I picked up my old bike. They have new and used, dealer and private sales, it is bikesales.com.au

Yes terrible what happened in Christchuch NZ. A Rescue Team has just arrived from the U.S. as well, taking it to 700 Rescuers from a lot of different countries now, you see the best in humanity in the worst of times. Likewise my thoughts and prayers have been with them all.

Good luck with it all mate, hope it helps. This is a beautiful country and a good option if your looking for a good home.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 AM

My skills are specialized here in the states, in the 16 years I have worked at a concrete batching facility and hiring new drivers I always find a severe shortage of mixer drivers, all have to have a commercial drivers license, I believe you call that the HR license.
Any truck driver can drive the truck but thats a small part of offloading at the job sites, they can be anything from a homeowner pouring a sidewalk to being part of a fleet pouring non-stop for an aircraft runway.

Most companies won't hire a mixer driver unless they have at least two years operating such vehicle, my outfit however will accept trainees as its family owned. Its also non-union which is good or bad depending.

I have looked at some jobs on the web and there does seem to be a demand for agitator drivers. My first choice would be the smaller independently owned companies instead of the giant outfits like Hanson where I would expect favoritism when it comes to hiring.

When I first moved to Alaska I saw first hand job favoritism, unless you were a relative or had something they really really wanted bad the doors were shut on you.

Frankly getting a job isn't my priority to be in Australia, it would be nice should I consider living there even seasonally. I did look up what a new XVS1300A sells for there its $15,000 AUSD, thats the non tourer version, I paid $10,500 for mine new in Alaska, but from what I gather it may cost me $4,000 to ship it and all the customs fees. Costs are a little higher in Alaska, I hear some new Stars here that went unsold are selling for $7500.

I would probably find buying a used bike better there, here a Yamaha loses a LOT in value, its the Harleys that seem to retain value.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Bike

And if you buy a stock XVS 1300 i have a lovely set of Mustang seats and Roadhouse slip-on that i cant seem to pass onto somebody else...CHEAP...........
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:53 PM

I am proud to say G'day boys. I am new into the bike world and been looking for a forum with V Star riders and they all seem to be USA and Canada based. must be a popular bike. But doesn't help us Aussie boys.
I have an XVS 650 with a set of V&H long pipes, White with White Walls- looks mint.
Just picked it up few weeks with about 1000k on the clock. Previous owner did not even ride it.
Silverado: i think it's cheaper to import a bike, especially if you own it anf want to bring it for personal use.http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/...dfs/Info01.pdf
check out this site and there are few more like it and speak to a customs agent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode