Care tire on a Stryker? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Care tire on a Stryker?

Yes yet another car tire on a bike thread.
I know I've been one to post all the negatives when ever a dark side thread is posted. I have mentioned that I have done a lot of research on the subject and always fall on the negative side due to the fact that near 100% of my riding is in extreme mountain twisties..
I am re visiting the Idea again simply because of the expense of MC tires has got to the point of whether I ride or not. I'm about out of tread on my 5th tire at 18,000 miles. That's one riding season and half of this years season. Average $225 per tire and $50 to mount times 5 is $1,375 plus one more if I want to get through the rest of the season, $1,650 times two bikes, $3,300 for two seasons I would be better off trading them in for new ones every two months. The only problem with that is these bikes devalue almost $2,000 as soon as you ride them off the lot.
I've tried some of the best mileage tires on the market and can't get 5'k miles off them and stock tires can't get 4k miles. This is between 1 and 2 months of riding. And Now times two Strykers. My wife has had her Stryker for 4 weeks and the tire is about shot at a little over 3k miles, and we have almost two months of good riding weather left.
If it means we have to slow down and be a bit more careful using car tires, at least we will be riding is what it has come to.
Any feed back, thoughts and opinions will be appreciated, negative or positive.

2011 Impact Blue Stryker
Cobra Speedster Slash Downs
K&N air filter
o2 mod
OEM short backrest and pad
PCS lowering kit set at 2.25"
240 rear tire
Handle bar risers
Side mount license plate
Saddle bags
stealth slipstream shield
Wife's bike SOLD
2013 Pearl White Stryker
Wife's new bike,
2013 impact blue Roadstar Siverado S 1700cc
ISO grips
Cobra back bar and rack
studded seat covers.
Mic tassels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 AM

It would be a great help to know which tires lasted longest and which were a waste of money since you have been through so many.

Being the Stryker is similar to the 1300 tourer I can assume you did not have much luck with Metz's as they seem to wear down in 5000 miles on the rear of our bikes. Personally I think they are overrated and most choose them because the brand name and looks.

I am curious if you tried the C2 and if you ever tried the Excedra Max.
Also curious on what tires you thought handled best no matter the mileage. Being most of us go years without replacing your insight would be a great help!

Being you are so active in the twisties, I wonder if you would be happy with a darkside not that I would use one or try one simply because I do not do half as much riding as you, so no need, by the time I get new tires I am jsut glad to replace them as they get older.
Currently have 5,275 miles on my front and rear tires which are EXCEDRA MAX, not just Excedra but Excedra MAX. Put them on 6-13-12 and as of today I have 5,275 miles on them. (between work and weather it has not been a good riding year for me, but starting to catch up in the last week!)

Anyway, I LOVE these tires and SO FAR they are holding up well, I really do not see much wear but how can I remember from when they were new, I will be happy to get 10 K out of the rear and 12k I would be thrilled. We will see. Most of my riding is fast rural roads 45 to 65 but also A LOT of interstate on longer then 1 hr trips. Interstate where I live I commonly go 80 to 85 MPH indicated on the speedo which is really 73 to 77MPH on a GPS/ true speed.
Last trip on Sunday a constant indicated 80 to 85 for a 2 hour run to Charleston and later in the days two hours back. Tires NEVER are swayed by groves in the road etc which is nice when you hit construction zones where they grooved the road to lay a new surface, now of course that is extreme and you will feel it to a certain degree but other areas of grooves and cracks the tires take in stride and really inspire confidence, nice and firm as well and why I like them.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by alarmguy; 09-10-2013 at 09:02 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
It would be a great help to know which tires lasted longest and which were a waste of money since you have been through so many.

Being the Stryker is similar to the 1300 tourer I can assume you did not have much luck with Metz's as they seem to wear down in 5000 miles on the rear of our bikes. Personally I think they are overrated and most choose them because the brand name and looks.

I am curious if you tried the C2 and if you ever tried the Excedra Max.
Also curious on what tires you thought handled best no matter the mileage. Being most of us go years without replacing your insight would be a great help!

Being you are so active in the twisties, I wonder if you would be happy with a darkside not that I would use one or try one simply because I do not do half as much riding as you, so no need, by the time I get new tires I am jsut glad to replace them as they get older.
Currently have 5,275 miles on my front and rear tires which are EXCEDRA MAX, not just Excedra but Excedra MAX. Put them on 6-13-12 and as of today I have 5,275 miles on them. (between work and weather it has not been a good riding year for me, but starting to catch up in the last week!)

Anyway, I LOVE these tires and SO FAR they are holding up well, I really do not see much wear but how can I remember from when they were new, I will be happy to get 10 K out of the rear and 12k I would be thrilled. We will see. Most of my riding is fast rural roads 45 to 65 but also A LOT of interstate on longer then 1 hr trips. Interstate where I live I commonly go 80 to 85 MPH indicated on the speedo which is really 73 to 77MPH on a GPS/ true speed.
Last trip on Sunday a constant indicated 80 to 85 for a 2 hour run to Charleston and later in the days two hours back. Tires NEVER are swayed by groves in the road etc which is nice when you hit construction zones where they grooved the road to lay a new surface, now of course that is extreme and you will feel it to a certain degree but other areas of grooves and cracks the tires take in stride and really inspire confidence, nice and firm as well and why I like them.
To start with I would like to make it clear that the Stryker is not like the 1300 or any other standard cruiser style bike as far as geometry and ergonomics. You set down in the bike at a lower center of gravity and a fist in the wind drag bar style with forward controls. Then the geometry is designed for a more aggressive riding style, despite how it looks and what you would think how it would handle with the rake, wide rear tire and bigger front tire. Also it has a more aggressive fuel mapping to go along with it and taller gear ratio than the 1300.
The low profile wide radial tires wear out faster than standard cruiser tires to start with. Then you add the ability to get down into curves and that equates to burning through tires .
Doesn't matter which brand or model tire they all wear out between 4k to 5k. And I mean before 5k they are bald starting at the sides first. This is opposite what others are getting that live in flat land big city areas. They are getting 8k to 12k of the stock tires wearing them in the center first. And of course better mileage when they go to other brands and 240 and up series tires.
To address your questions, to start with, the 950 and Strykers come stock with Bridgestone Exedras, not the max. I don't think they make a Max in any size that will fit the Stryker rim.
The problem with the Stryker is there is only two brands that make the 210 series, Bridgestone and Metzler.
So far I haven't been able to find a bias ply in anything above a 200 series. We put a bias ply C II 180 on the 950 and it had over 3k miles on it when we traded it in and it still looked almost new. This was far better than Bridgestone, Metzler and Dunlop, all were more than half way to the wear bars at 3k miles and wearing out before 7k miles. Metz getting the best mileage out of the three.

The thing about Metzlers is, from all my research I found they seem to get, on average, close to the same mileage no matter what part of the country you ride in. This isn't true with all other brands. In parts of the country like where I live that wear tires out fast, the same tire in other areas will last more than twice as long, except Metzler. That's why I chose Metzler because I figured I would get the best mileage off them which I did off three different bikes over several years. 7k+ miles on standard cruisers and 4,800 miles on my Stryker.
The thing about Metzlers however, when the tread got low the tire was squirrely. The Bridgestone was still sticky even when it was bald.
The Michelin C II is a far better tire than all of them. I have almost 5k on the C II 240 on my Sryker. It is almost bald on the left side, normal, and past the wear bars every where else. But the difference is it is wearing evenly as far as keeping it's round form where the others would squared off and/or cup. Also very sticky still, even more so than the Bridge. When the bridge was bald you could feel it sliding in hard corners but never felt like it would come out from under you. Now so with the C II it stays right there.

First picture is the first Bridgestone 210 on my Stryker completely bald from side to side at 3,100 miles. I still had some tread in the center at 2,500 miles. Paper thin but no belt showing. The bike was new so I was testing its limits. Could have got another 1,000 miles off it if I was a little easier on it lol.
Second pic is the Metz 240 at 4,800 miles. You can see with the wider tire it gave me more side tread that i really couldn't get all the way down to even scraping pegs.
Then the next two pics are the Michelin C II at 5k miles now.
The last pic is my wife's Stock 210 at 3k+ miles and you can see that some of the side chicken tracks are completely gone.
My concern is a car tire not designed to be on it's side may wear even faster on the edges but I wont know until I try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0201121327.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	17785   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-09 14.42.26.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	17793   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-10 14.05.53.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	17801   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-10 11.42.08.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	17809   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-10 14.08.02.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	17817  

2011 Impact Blue Stryker
K&N air filter
o2 mod
240 rear tire
Handle bar risers
Side mount license plate
Saddle bags
Wife's bike SOLD
2013 Pearl White Stryker
Wife's new bike,
ISO grips
Cobra back bar and rack
studded seat covers.
Mic tassels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

So I revisited the idea of a car tire and have decided against it again. It simply wont work on the style of bikes we have on dangerous mountain roads. Well here you guys go, some more negatives, not about car tires on a bike rather from the use of car tires on bikes.
I got responses on other forums from guys that have put car tires on their Strykers. All negative. One saying that he had it come out from under him in an intersection. Didn't describe how but I can tell you the reason is obvious. When he expected/needed it to perform like a bike tire it DID NOT. He also said it wore out faster than a Metzler. I can tell you why. On a bike like the Stryker that was designed to ride aggressively, really get into the cornering, with a tire that was not designed to be on it's edge all the time, or at all for that matter, heated up and quickly left all it's rubber on the road.
So I will not be putting a car tire on any bike, especially not my Strykers.

2011 Impact Blue Stryker
K&N air filter
o2 mod
240 rear tire
Handle bar risers
Side mount license plate
Saddle bags
Wife's bike SOLD
2013 Pearl White Stryker
Wife's new bike,
ISO grips
Cobra back bar and rack
studded seat covers.
Mic tassels
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:40 AM

Thanks for correcting me Toby, I wasnt thinking when I made that post. True our bikes share the same engine and around the same weight, I didnt even think to think we were talking about different tires sizes and frame etc.

I know the "gearing" is different, in fact there is someone looking for a front pulley from a 1300 tourer to trade. Front pulley has an extra tooth on the Stryker (from what I am told) and it is something I would like because the 1300 tourer does get a little buzzy at 80 to 85 - 90 indicated MPH. I do a fair amount of interstate and the front pulley from the Stryker should lower the RPMs on the tourer by about 250 at 85 indicated MPH from what I am told. That would be perfect, as far as mapping that is not a concern.

A LOT of people do not know the speedometer on the 1300 tourer (not sure about the Stryker) is almost a FULL 10% to fast. So at 85 MPH indicated you are only going 77MPH GPS speed. If you never checked your speed with a GPS I would be interested to know about the Stryker, if the "error" is as great as the tourer.
So all the tourer riders who think they are doing 75MPH on the interstate and cars still flying by them is only because they are only going 68 MPH. That is significant and a knock on Yamaha for sure.
I think intentional, how can it not be?
Would be great to know if stryker is the same.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Last edited by alarmguy; 09-11-2013 at 07:43 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
Thanks for correcting me Toby, I wasnt thinking when I made that post. True our bikes share the same engine and around the same weight, I didnt even think to think we were talking about different tires sizes and frame etc.

I know the "gearing" is different, in fact there is someone looking for a front pulley from a 1300 tourer to trade. Front pulley has an extra tooth on the Stryker (from what I am told) and it is something I would like because the 1300 tourer does get a little buzzy at 80 to 85 - 90 indicated MPH. I do a fair amount of interstate and the front pulley from the Stryker should lower the RPMs on the tourer by about 250 at 85 indicated MPH from what I am told. That would be perfect, as far as mapping that is not a concern.

A LOT of people do not know the speedometer on the 1300 tourer (not sure about the Stryker) is almost a FULL 10% to fast. So at 85 MPH indicated you are only going 77MPH GPS speed. If you never checked your speed with a GPS I would be interested to know about the Stryker, if the "error" is as great as the tourer.
So all the tourer riders who think they are doing 75MPH on the interstate and cars still flying by them is only because they are only going 68 MPH. That is significant and a knock on Yamaha for sure.
I think intentional, how can it not be?
Would be great to know if stryker is the same.
This is not a knock on Yamaha. This is a common practice for all vehicles. The US standard of speedo error is 10% (UNECE) Regulation 39[3] meaning 5% in either direction I think is how it works. Manufacturers set them on the high side intentionally.("Vehicle manufacturers usually calibrate speedometers to read high by an amount equal to the average error, to ensure that their speedometers never indicate a lower speed than the actual speed of the vehicle, to ensure they are not liable for drivers violating speed limits.") Quote from this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer
The Stryker and the 950 were of by almost 5 mph at 50 mph and 7 mph at 90 mph indicated on the speedo. Percentage increases with speed. So when my speedo said I was doing 130+ it was probably below 125.
With the larger 240 on my Stryker it's off by only 1 mph. at 55 indicated by radar speed check boards.
It also shows up on the trip meters. When we travel side by side exact miles my bike with the 240 shows 5 miles less at 100 miles than my wife's bike with the 210. It was the same with the 950.

2011 Impact Blue Stryker
K&N air filter
o2 mod
240 rear tire
Handle bar risers
Side mount license plate
Saddle bags
Wife's bike SOLD
2013 Pearl White Stryker
Wife's new bike,
ISO grips
Cobra back bar and rack
studded seat covers.
Mic tassels
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 PM

I have never drove car with a 10% error on the speedo, not even close, my Dodge Durango is right on the money with the GPS. I mean EXACT. My wifes Altima is off by about 5% to fast at higher speeds only at 70MPH plus. My bike at 70 MPH is doing 63/64, that is significant no matter what the "standards are>

I believe and heard but NOT fact that Harleys are close to 5% not 10%.
If that is correct, I cant help but wonder if bikes with 5 speeds are closer to 10% off and the bikes with 6 speeds are closer to actual speed. Conspiracy theory would be 5 speed metric bikes would need to have the bike feel not as "buzzy" and let the rider think he/she is going faster then they are. In this day and age it is not impossible to have a correct speedometer. To me its an excuse.

BTW- I am only have fun with you and this discussion, please dont take it the wrong way.

But I will say I find it unacceptable that Yamaha has a bike model on the market such as the 1300 with a 9 or 10% error. I suspect as word gets out, which is so easy in this multi media age they will have to bring that in line.
I truly believe right now they do not want it closer to real speed because, other people like me would feel let down, knowing your engine has to turn 3,800 RPM to go 77 MPH (speedo says 85 MPH at that speed) 76/77 is a speed not all that uncommon on any major interstate. Instead one has to slow it down to around 3,500/3,600 RPM to get rid of the slight buzz for long trips which is 72/73MPH and the bike cruises like a dream, yet the speedo says 80 MPH. Its more then a little deceptive.

Again, I understand what you are saying and just having a conversation about this but cant help but wonder what other companies speedos are off. I suspect Harley is not and most likely Victory is not either, if not, that would be a ball in their court.

Also if you are correct, and 5% in either direction Yamaha is a full 100% out of the standard with a speedo off 10%. But again, just talking and again, to me doesnt matter what the standard is, 10% or almost 10% is inexcusable in for me personally but of course I live with it and have adjusted to it but will make it known in the bike world for those who have never checked. I wonder if the new 1300 deluxe GPS gives GPS speed, that would be interesting because if you do not have that option you know Yamaha wants to keep the real speed quiet, if the new deluxe if off that much like the other 1300 tourer models.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Last edited by alarmguy; 09-11-2013 at 01:02 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

You are correct for most of what you know, and BTW I know this is just a discussion and respect your knowledge, thought's and opinions, as I do everyone else.
If you read the info on the link I posted you will get a better understanding of the speedo thing.
You are correct with Yamahas being on the extreme side of high readings. Yours seem to be way up there but not rare as I have followed many threads on lots of forums and they all say the same thing, starting with 3 mph off at low speeds increasing to as much as 10 mph off at high speeds. Not limited to Yamahas either. In fact, a friend of mine up here that rides a 06 HD Road King, when we got on the freeway she started dropping way behind. So I slowed down to 60 indicated on my speedo which is only 1 mph off if at all with the 240. She still was not catching up. So I questioned why? She said we were hitting speeds over 75 mph. She said her Harley vibrates too much at that speed, indicated on her speedo, and she wanted to stay at the speed limit or below to be comfortable. My wife said her speedo on the 950 never hit 70 and mine never hit 65. So her speedo was probably more than 10 mph off.
My Ridgeline on the other hand is right on the money according to radar speed check signs and the ticket I got that the CHP said her radar clocked me at exactly what I looked and saw me speedo say when I saw here.
But I bought the Ridgeline used and have no way of knowing if it had been calibrated or not.
When I first noticed that my Stryker and the 950 were both off about 4 to 5 mph between 45 to 60 mph I questioned the Yamaha dealer where I bought the Stryker thinking thy would fix it because it was brand new, the response I got was , "it is within the % of allowed error under the International standard for speedo regulations".
So I researched it and learned a lot.
The things I'm telling you are not my opinion rather things I read that are available to the public.
One of the things if I remember correctly was that apposite of what you would think, Higher end sports and luxury cars were usually further off than cheaper vehicles.
So do some research if you really want to know facts and where you stand if you think your speedo is off further than the percentage that the USA regulations allow.

2011 Impact Blue Stryker
K&N air filter
o2 mod
240 rear tire
Handle bar risers
Side mount license plate
Saddle bags
Wife's bike SOLD
2013 Pearl White Stryker
Wife's new bike,
ISO grips
Cobra back bar and rack
studded seat covers.
Mic tassels

Last edited by Toby; 09-11-2013 at 01:59 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 PM

After hearing all these tire issues with the larger cruisers I am beginning to think it's honestly a defect in the design. I'm not hearing remotely as much "problems" with other bikes in the same categories running through tires like I am for the Stryker/Liners. I can't even begin to comprehend how you are wearing a tire down in 3,000 miles. Have you tried the Michelin Commander II's?

Also you got a ticket? Did your speedo say you were legally within the limit? If it did contact Yamaha consumer relations and say due to a defect in the motorcycle you got cited for riding too fast because the speed is completely inaccurate. 1-3 MPH is normal, 5-10+ is not.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
You are correct for most of what you know, and BTW I know this is just a discussion and respect your knowledge, thought's and opinions, as I do everyone else.
If you read the info on the link I posted you will get a better understanding of the speedo thing.
So do some research if you really want to know facts and where you stand if you think your speedo is off further than the percentage that the USA regulations allow.
Good post Toby ... ( shortened the quote so not to take up so much room again*L*) and I believe you are correct, I am sure it is within "regulations" but as you might agree, the extreme. At least for me it is and see no reason for it is all I was trying to say, it is what it is and if anything will keep me from getting a ticket but then it brings me back to why I wish I had that 6th speed and again, I dont know of any bike that we wished for at least one thing if given a choice what we would like in a bike, that would be the one thing for me.
Just got a new helmet tonight, took it on the interstate to see how it was compared to the last, I like it not much different then the last except even more super thin and lite 3/4.
Neptune wrote above, have you tried the Commander II ?

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in