Test drove the Stryker - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Test drove the Stryker

I test drove the new Stryker yesterday. I gotta say that Yamaha has another hit on their hands! I love the lines of the bike. The raked front end and fat 210mm rear tire make this thing look like it's going 100 mph just sitting there!

I ride the 1300 VStar, and while these bikes share the same powerplant, that is where the similarities end. The Stryker is a completely different animal, and what a blast to ride! Very smooth, very quick, and very responsive handling. I only rode it about a dozen miles, but it seems to be very comfortable, and it really tuned heads!

If you get a chance to take one for a spin, don't turn it down!

2007 Vstar 1300 Tourer
Too many bolt-on goodies to remember!

Gone but not forgotten...

Memeber of the Black Bike Club -- Fastest Color Available!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 AM

I pulled up along side one at a red light yesterday. It looked nice, big fat exhust pipe and a nice sound. The gas tank looked alot like my 950 gas tank.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
...The Stryker is a completely different animal, and what a blast to ride! Very smooth, very quick, and very responsive handling. I only rode it about a dozen miles, but it seems to be very comfortable, and it really tuned heads!....
Hi Roxtar,

So based on your experience, if you had a choice to buy a bike now between the V-Star 1300 and the Stryker, which would you choose? I ask because those are the two bikes at the top of my list currently. I've inquired about test drives but after visiting a few dealerships, I have learned that one can only do a test ride after actually filling out all the papers as if you were going to purchase it. I believe this is done because of insurance purposes. I don't know how much truth there is to that but it seemed to much to do just for a test ride.

Anyway, I'm curious to know your thoughts on this one...

Cheers,
BigWil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Well BigWil, that is a tough question, and I'm going to take the easy way out! I love my VStar and I would not give it up for a Stryker!

That being said, you really need to assess your needs from a bike before deciding between the 2. My situation calls for the VStar. I don't ride it to work (have a company car) so it's not a commuter bike. I am married and my wife won't ride her own bike, so the 2-up comfort I get on the VStar is absolutley nessecary. We take several long trips, from 3 day weekend rides to week long get-a-ways. so traveling with luggage is vital to our rides. So the VStar works best for me in most areas. And it's a great bike to ride solo on some day cruises with my buddies.

Now I do like to dream, and one of my dreams is to own a second bike that would be MY bike, for the solo rides and just general runs around town. I'd want it to be a bad-ass ride. A bike with attitude! And the Stryker would fill that need. Or the Raider, but that's a different story...

The thing that drew me to the Stryker was the fact that it has the same drivetrain as my VStar. And I was curious about how that combo worked in that bike. (Grade A!)

Lastly, I think you either need to get to know your dealer better or find a different one. How do they sell bikes if you have to go through all that paperwork just for a test ride? My dealer has a simple form you fill out that has your name, address and DL #, and they make a copy of your DL. As long as you have a bike endorsement and proper riding gear, you can ride. I've been to a few other delaerships where I test drove bikes and most have a similar policy. The most detailed form I ever filled out was a Waiver form that took maybe 5 minutes to fill out.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either bike. That engine is bullet proof. I know guys with over 100,000 miles on it and have done nothing other than routine service on them. Good luck choosing, and enjoy whatever you buy!

2007 Vstar 1300 Tourer

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Banned

Yes I think the Raider's lil' sister is sharp looking.
I haven't ridden one but I'm not surprised at the nimble ride it gives.

Looking at the specs on it, all lubed and gassed up it's less than 650 pounds. I had the Warrior (original "hot rod" of the Star crusiers) and that weighed 680 but with a 102 cu. in.. The Raider must be all of the above and more.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboo365 View Post
I pulled up along side one at a red light yesterday. It looked nice, big fat exhust pipe and a nice sound. The gas tank looked alot like my 950 gas tank.
I take that back. Now that I've looked at a pic of a Raider I realize it was a Raider that I pulled up along side. It was nice tho.

Sorry for my mistake.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
My dealer has a simple form you fill out that has your name, address and DL #, and they make a copy of your DL. As long as you have a bike endorsement and proper riding gear, you can ride.
Maybe it's a Wisconsin thing. I know there's another thread on here about this, but it was the same for me. Fill out a form, copy your DL (as long as there's an M on it), put on your helmet and ride. We even bought our bike in the winter but the sale was "pending a favorable test ride".

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDar View Post
Maybe it's a Wisconsin thing. I know there's another thread on here about this, but it was the same for me. Fill out a form, copy your DL (as long as there's an M on it), put on your helmet and ride. We even bought our bike in the winter but the sale was "pending a favorable test ride".
I think it's more the policy of the dealer. I have visited other dealers in Wisconsin that were not very accomadating when it came to driving a bike. I realize that there are times when a test ride can't be granted, like bad weather or whatever, but when they just flat out say no and can't give me a reason, I let them know in no uncertain terms that my business will be done elsewhere!

On a similar note, our dealer in Menomonie, WI did not let anyone ride the Stryker until they had a second one come in. Their reason was that should something happen on the test ride they would still have another bike for people to look at.

2007 Vstar 1300 Tourer

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
My son just purchased a 2011 stryker and It is a nice bike.

However, the person or people that designed it gave you virtually zero, zip , notta, 1 cm of space to put anything. Even the registration
MUST go in between the small tool pouch and the battery cover.
Seat must be removed for that while the cop is waiting for ya.

In the under seat area : you would need to be Harry Houdini to get all that stuff back in there correctly if you ever had to go in for any replacement parts or service work. Very tightly cramped.

My 650 classic has gobs of room even with the left side cover holding
the marine stereo.

Yes I get the fact this Stryker is a "hotrod" on 2 wheels but for god sake at least put a storage box on it.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

i put my insurance card in my helmet lining

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode