Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Forward control extensions????

14K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  61rsss 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I've got em on mine. I really like em. I'm 5'10" 34" inseam It's a much better ride/fit for me. I've got the Stainless ones. They were a little sharp on the edges when I got them, went around them with a fine file once and put em on. Very simple to put on. Disconnect adjust rod, unbolt peg carrier, bolt on extension, bolt on peg carrier, re-adjust new rods. All told twenty minutes. One thing missing or needed, ty-raps for the brake switch wiring. Had to cut them to re-position then put new ones on.

#3 ·
Well, I got em on and I LOVE it. Here are some pics..

As they came out of the package

Stock gearshift side

Stock brake side

With extensions

All in all it took about 20-25 minutes, including getting the tools out. Easy as pie to install and seems pretty sturdy. The riding position now is awesome, I don't have to kick my knees out to get on the brake or shifter. All in all very worth the $50.

#5 ·
Mine are slightly different. While 6" extensions, mine are Stainless Steel. They kinda look like dirty chrome. I've noticed that when I put my weight on them to reposition my butt that they flex inward towards each other. Haven't put a whole lot of thought into it or even checked clearance but have thought of getting a stainless rod to thread and attach across both as a stiffener. Don't know if the stainless flex more then the painted. Anybody else noticed this?

#16 ·
Mine finally showed up on Saturday. I like them, but they are not all I hoped they would be. For starters, installation was something of a pain. One of the nylon lock nuts locked up before it was tight. I ended up sheering the bolt trying to turn the nut. I sent my wife to the hardware store to get a replacement. She came back with one that was JUST BARELY too big to fit through the extension bracket. so I had to rotate the control out of the way to access it with the drill. When I loosened the other bolt to accomplish this, it siezed as well. I was able to rotate the control enough to get the drill in and get one bolt tight. And I have been riding it with one loose bolt until I have time to remove and replace it. So the installation was a little frustrating.

The riding position is much more comfortable, but still not what I am looking for. The probe is the TINY stock floor boards. I will need to upgrade to floor boards that are bigger, or pegs. Any suggestions on either? I just spent all the money I have in my toy budget on the bike, so the less expensive the better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.