Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Clevver problem

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  farmalldanzil 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2005 VStar 650 classic (upgraded from a 1983 Yamaha 400 Maxim!) and after a couple of weeks decided I did not like the clutch, my fingers were nearly fully extended until the clutch grabbed. Researched the solutions and decided to go with the Clevver. Installed it and when I adjust it to my desired "friction zone" the handle is very loose. When I back off to the point where the handle is snugger, the friction zone is nearly back to the original undesirable zone. The guy who sells them has been great and collectively we cannot figure out what the problem is. Personally, I feel like I might have stretched the cable when putting the handle back on. I had to struggle to seat it back in after swapping out the handle.

Any ideas or ways to solve the problem. Thanks.

#2 ·
I bought one for my 2000 vstar 1100 custom and havent been able to make it work

i have contacted the supplier but he says he doesnt know if when i bought mine if he had a model for my bike. i have sent him several emails and go one response but still dont have a remedy to my issue. i want to return for credit

I didnt have such a great experience yet with mine, hopefully they can make one to replace mine or credit it

hope you get yours working, i know what you mean , reall narrow friction zone

#3 ·
Just bought a 2005 VStar 650 classic
Don't have a solution for you, but just wanted to commiserate.

I bought an '02 VStar 650 Custom about a month ago, and am relearning how to ride. I reading advice about using the friction zone for low speed maneuvers, but the problem is, the VStar doesn't have one! The clutch is on/off, period. And right at the limit of the lever. Very frustrating. And haven't read enough consistently good things about the Clevver to buy one yet.

Btw, I tried adding just a little freeplay to the lever, but then the clutch doesn't disengage, and I can't get it into gear. Amazing that Yamaha hasn't come up with a fix for this. Honda, et al, got it right on their cruisers (at least I haven't heard of complaints).

Other than that, and a few other weaknesses (e.g. lights!, etc), I love the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.