Malware, Spyware ?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Malware, Spyware ??

I just got an email from admin here due to my long absence since joining. Truth is, I log in from work and the anti-virus software they have running detects "stuff" and sends me warnings only when on this forum's web site. Therefore, I'm logged off a lot more now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:05 PM

Garage
Well, that could be caused by a lot of things. I've got pretty tight detections set up and nothing pinged for me here. Maybe you could post the text of the warnings so we can see what is up. (Not the whole message.)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by md_ride_rick View Post
Well, that could be caused by a lot of things. I've got pretty tight detections set up and nothing pinged for me here. Maybe you could post the text of the warnings so we can see what is up. (Not the whole message.)
I'll put my bets on it being a script or other 'questionable' activity being served-through from some of the ad providers. I'm pretty locked down on my system here, and it gives me the occasional warning on sites that run adchoices - typically third-party cookie set attempt, script inside a 'banner' etc. Nothing actually "malicious" just advertisers trying to track/tag/spy on ya.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
I'll put my bets on it being a script or other 'questionable' activity being served-through from some of the ad providers. I'm pretty locked down on my system here, and it gives me the occasional warning on sites that run adchoices - typically third-party cookie set attempt, script inside a 'banner' etc. Nothing actually "malicious" just advertisers trying to track/tag/spy on ya.
Yeah, what he said.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 04:08 PM

With ABP+ installed and viewing this page I see that 20 of 187 items are blocked along with 6 whitelisted items sliding through that have been allowed. Any one of those 20 advertisers can slip something in. Or even the ones I allow.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 PM

Garage
You can try Ghostery, i don't even see the ads.
https://www.ghostery.com/en/

If you use it just remember some pages won't load with ghostery activated. Easy enough to temp disable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode