Password - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Password

My password was reset by an administrator without any explanation. Can someone please explain why this happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:42 PM

Mine was too and when I logged in using the new/temporary password that they provided in an email to me there was a pop up message saying it was due to the site being hacked essentially. I changed my password in the userCP and they are requiring stricter passwords now.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:44 PM

Garage
Thanks, I was wondering. Just got an email saying mine was reset also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:55 PM

Garage
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:25 PM

With all these systems (Bank Accounts, Medical Info, Email, etc) being broken into. It might be wise to change your others too. Do not fall into the false sense it would never happen to me. Too easy these days to have a keylogger or some other way for your passwords to be compromised. Do yourself a favor and change them periodically or when a system you use has been compromised.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc669 View Post
With all these systems (Bank Accounts, Medical Info, Email, etc) being broken into. It might be wise to change your others too. Do not fall into the false sense it would never happen to me. Too easy these days to have a keylogger or some other way for your passwords to be compromised. Do yourself a favor and change them periodically or when a system you use has been compromised.
if someone hacked my bank account they'd probably add money after seeing the available balance..lol. anyway anything financial i change the password offten
FuzzBall and FuzzBall like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 06-23-2016 at 04:13 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 07:31 AM

I know its for security reasons but I just don't get it. This isn't a bank or anything like that. I have no sensitive data on this sight. I know the reasoning behind it is above my pay grade but honestly I hate having to change my password. Not only that but it has to be so complicated that there is no way I can remember it. And in a year we will have to do it again. There is a site I use at work that it's every 90 days. Personally I feel I am less secure cause I have to write them down somewhere as oppose to keep them in my head.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 07:41 AM

I agree. I worked at one place and the requirements was every 90 days and 15 or greater characters including all the strange ones and numbers. I just incremented the last one or two characters up one or two and was easier that way. As far as a forum goes and the need for change, statistically most users use the same password or a variant for most everything. Of course now we also assume that places like Banks, Hospitals, and Other Institutions are secure also. Just look at how many hospitals have fallen victim to ransomware because they are stupid. So we pay the price and fingers point to the users. As the old adage goes, it all rolls downhill. But at least practice it on your end if you can.

Bill

P.S. I wanted to add a little link about Passwords from LifeHacker,Com, a site I use a lot with good info on everything Digital. This one is on Passwords and if it helps then great. My apologies to the Sysops if the link is not allowed. Please remove if not allowed.
http://lifehacker.com/5876541/use-th...trong-password

Last edited by merc669; 06-24-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Wanted to add a Password Info Link to help.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 06:16 PM

I got the e-mail telling me my password was changed, also. I haven't yet tried it, because the site is set to keep me logged in. I do think someone went into overkill mode, since a site such as this isn't likely to have much truly sensitive information. To put it bluntly, when this sort of site starts to be more trouble than it is worth, I just walk away. And with the almost complete lack of comments about my particular bike, it is already close.

Edited to add: When I tried to post this, the site required me to prove I wasn't a spambot and then forced the password change on me.

Last edited by Charon; 06-25-2016 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Added information
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 01:09 PM

I have to agree. Since they added all this other stuff my machine drags even more than ever. And I have a pretty fast machine too.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode