Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Anyone use Bondo before?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  YamaMassGirl 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I wanted to know if any of you have any tips and tricks for filling a dent on a motorcycle tank.

I got this stuff, but I believe that it will be good for only the small dings and deep scratches that I have on the other body work, right?

There were a few different products at the store. I've never used the stuff before, so...

I could probably just Google the best stuff to use and methods for application, but it's more fun to ask you guys and gals.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
It depends on how deep the dent is. You don't want bondo to be more than 1/4 inch thick. Bondo any thicker can shrink and not adhere properly. You must sandpaper the surface prior to application as there needs to be a mechanical bond. I would suggest watching several online videos as good dent repair is an art. From experience I can tell you the first time does not always work out to look perfect. Good luck.

#4 ·
The decision should be based on how large is the dent. You might be better off using fiberglass. Bondo is best for final smoothing of an area. Fiberglass is not as complicated to use as you might think. As long as you are careful to follow the directions for mixing the resin/hardner, the rest is fairly simple. Once you have the hole filled, then you can bondo it and smooth it out.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will Google some stuff. I did see fiberglass stuff with the Bondo.

Hard to tell from pic. The outside diameter is about the size of a quarter, and it may be deeper than 1/4 in. Maybe 1/2 an inch.

Guess I should fiberglass, or study up some. I would hate for it to sink and kill my paint job.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

#6 ·
That is small enough that you can use bondo. First, you need to pull out the dent. You can buy a tool to do that or just use a screw and pliers. Screw it in then use the piers to pull it out which will pull the metal with it. once you get the most of it pulled out, you need to grind off the rust. You leave rust and it will bubble up under the paint after a while. Then spread the bondo over the whole area in a thin layer. Let it dry/cure for a day and then put on another then layer. At this point, you should be almost there. spray the area with a thin coat of black primer then spray over that with gray primer. Sand. Hi areas will show up as gray and dimples will be black. More bondo, spray again, sand. Do this until you sand and the gray is removed leaving a coat of black.

This is how I remember it. Haven't done any body/paint work in 40-50 years so might be a bit outdated...hehehe I also might add that getting that seam straightened out will be almost impossible.

#7 ·
I've always used spot putty to fill in small scratches and imperfections after sanding the bondo. Saves mixing up more just for a small fill. I've never used it alone so I'm not sure if it would work on something that big or not. Since it doesn't use a hardener like bondo I don't know if it would be strong enough to use alone. Hinson is right, try to get as much of the dent out as possible, then make sure you clean up ALL the rust and apply bondo in thin layers.

#10 ·
just a follow-up, the stuff in the photo is a putty, used for very small scratches and holes.

the stuff that is normally called Bondo is a two part epoxy, that comes in a can with the hardener in a tube. Mixing it and working with it is a real art. If you use too much hardener it stiffens up before you can apply it and smooth it out.

Getting a dent to look like the original stamped metal is really difficult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.