Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Oil light

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Sick Mick 
#1 ·
Started up my 1999 Vstar with 12000 miles and oil light came on !!!! I changed the oil some 1200 miles ago, Ive checked the oil level window and its good, Added a little just in case it was reading it low of something but still on. Bike runs fine but of course dont want to risk it. Any ideas, Suggestions, Old school tricks????? Heavier/Thinner oils? anything would be helpful

#2 ·
check your user manual and see if it is a low oil level warning, or a low oil pressure warning?

If its low oil pressure then do not run the engine with the light on, ever. If the oil pump has stopped working your bearings will rip apart in a manner of minutes.

This is true for all gas engines. Some cars have become very ambiguous with the "idiot lights" - yellow, red, flashing, little oil cans and wrench symbols.... If you are not certain what a fault light means stop immediately and check the manual (for cars and MCs).

If it only a low oil level light, and you are sure the level is ok, then you can ignore it. My bike does not have an oil level light.

#3 ·
LOL, User manual! Who had that !!! :) From what Ive gathered researching online,The light is a level indicator light. The level seemed fine from the window but I went ahead and added a little more just in case. Changing oil n filter when I get home today.

#4 ·
So, I took bike into shop. Went for a full oil change $90 URGH! So The manual says it takes 3.5 quarts of oil... NOOOT, Try 4.6 quarts! Low oil Light came off, Oil window indicator shows oil just below top line. Now I know to keep there from now on. Running nice n good to go !!!

#5 · (Edited)
I cant tell which bike you have from your photo.

If your bike has the oil level window get a little piece of a mirror, sit on the bike in 1st gear holding the front brake with your right hand

and reach down with the mirror with your left to see the oil level window. If you are not sure if you are looking at oil or the white backdrop lean the bike to the right and left a bit. Be careful, dont let it get away from you.

When the oil is new it can be a little harder to tell what you are looking at, but when its dirty black its pretty obvious where the level is.

The VS650 takes 3 US quarts with a filter change. Im a bit surprised that any bike would take 4.6 qts. Most of my cars only take 4.

#7 ·
does your bike have the external oil filter mod, or an aftermarket oil cooler? because a stock 1100 hold 3.5 quarts with a filter change. ( I googled it)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.