Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Blown shocks

767 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  patrickdk 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if it's possible to rebuild shocks yourself

#2 ·
the front shocks yes - but I have the impression it can be a PITA. Something about a piece in the bottom of the fork that gets stuck or a screw that wont come out... it can be a challenge.

Rear shocks - no.

#3 ·
I did it in my daughters bike, since there was no idea on it. Plus we needed to adjust it for her weight. I did have help from someone that has done many of this for this job, as I had no idea what I was doing.

I just did mine when I was adjusting them anyway and put in the progressive springs. It all came apart easily, but it only had 5k miles on it. just takes alittle time, and a bench vice helps.

#4 ·
you would have to recharge the rear mono shock with nitrogen, putting in the right amount may prove difficult, the fronts are pretty easy because all the parts are readily available, you can even make your own tool to hold a damper rod so the pita screw that holds it will come out, even changing the coil on a rear shock is very difficult/dangerous without the correct spring compressors

#5 ·
Yes, I agree with KCW, the stock shocks on this bike, don't rebuild, they are sealed. You can do a spring swap, but that is not recommended. I did it, and couldn't find anyone that would change the spring, and ended up doing it myself. Locating anything to withstand those pressures was hard, and they didn't withstand it very well, and was destroyed when I was finished.

Changing out the rear shock in it's complete form though, that is pretty simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.