Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Pre Purchase Inspection tips, 2006 Stratoliner

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  kc61 
#1 ·
As the title states. Bike is in good condition, but has 50k miles, price is pretty decent, not a complete steal, that said, what to look for? I know about the 3rd gear issue, is there any telltale sign of impending doom on the trans? or any other problem areas I should be looking for?

I don't typically buy bikes with miles but there arent too many floating around.

Thanks for the help

#3 ·
How long of a test ride are you able to do? I would want at least a good hour on the bike. If a test ride isn't an option, I personally would walk. That isn't an unacceptable amount of miles if the deal is right. Short of inspecting the gears, which would obviously require disassembly, I don't think you'll be able to detect potential doom especially if the bike is shifting smoothly through the gears. Good Luck!

#4 ·
I googled the 3rd gear issue, apparently on the stratoliner and the roadstar for a couple years.

that is pretty scary stuff. Also the thing about the front pulley unscrewing itself, the rear fender wobbling and fatiguing, tappets failing... I didn't realize Roadstars had all those production issues. I have been thinking of getting a roadstar, now I will have to make a list of the years they had problems and be aware of what to watch out for.

Consumer Reports surveys indicate that Vstar bikes are the most reliable MCs on the market, esp the 'mid size' cruiser bikes. I guess this explains that, if the 1600 and 1700 engines had some known issues....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.