Need help for Vance and Hines FuelPak LCD settings - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Need help for Vance and Hines FuelPak LCD settings

Hi guys,

I have been trawling through the forums to see if my issue has already been discussed. It hasn't.

I have a 2014 Yamah Bolt R Spec, equipped with the V&H Twin Slash exhaust, VO2 Air Intake and the FuelPak LCD (this is the legacy version with various mode settings that you can input based on map). I bought the bike used with all that already on. My issue was that there was pronounced decel pop when going off throttle. This is how it acts; I go off throttle, heavy engine braking (assume due to fuel cut-off), reduced engine braking when fuel is restored, burble, pop, burble, burble, pop, pop, burble, POP! You get the idea. I went to the V&H website and downloaded a map appropriate to my model bike and the exhaust. The map was supposed to work fine with stock exhaust (except to run a little rich), and work perfectly with a free flow air intake. That reduced the popping very slightly. So I wrote to V&H and they sent me another map. I added that, and the bike smoothed out a bit (less jerky throttle response, but very slightly) but the pop was still there. I noticed that it is almost gone when I start my bike in the morning if the ambient temp is low. It comes back when the engine is warmed up and the ambient temp rises. I do not suspect any exhaust leaks as the pipes do not seem to get very hot.

My question is whether the engine is still running lean and if this is bad for it. Noob motorcyclist, btw.

Does anyone have an explanation of what the various mode settings on the FuelPak LCD do?

All help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 AM
KCW

Garage
Popping and backfiring is a very subjective thing.

My 650 has carbs and its all factory stock. I know they set it up to be as lean as possible, and I have not messed with the carbs.

If I wind the bike out and then throttle off, it compression brakes nicely all the way down to about 2000 rpm, then it will pop a little bit. If I crack the throttle open just slightly the popping stops.

Same in all the gears, that last 1000 rpm down to idle speed it sounds like snapping bubble wrap bubbles.

I dont think its really an issue unless the exhaust is loudly backfiring - BANG BANG! like gun shots. The easy way to see whats going on, next time you check your plugs, if its running a little rich they should be a little brown or even slightly black around the edges.

Google the images for spark plug condition - if your plugs look like the 'too lean' photos, then you need to worry about it.

Its hard to get the fuel injection map perfect for every possible riding condition. If the bike feels like its running well, and the plugs look like the 'good' photos, its probably good.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks KCW. I will try to record the sound. The pops are medium loud usually (louder than bubble wrap, unless you guys have some type of rock concert style bubble wrap heheheh), with a louder one just sometimes (still not as loud as gunshots, unless you use suppressors, hahaha). I will pull the plugs on the weekend to see the colour. I don't have a tach so can't comment on RPM but 2000 or thereabouts sounds more or less right.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:53 PM
KCW

Garage
there are websites that will tell you what your engine RPM is for any given gear at any specific speed - some already have the drive ratios, so you just tell it what bike you have, and it lists the rpm vs speed table

but the important thing is, on my 650 for example - the compression braking sounds normal from 75mph in 5th gear, all the way down to about 30mph - then it starts to act up and pop a bit.

If it was snapping and popping every time I let off the throttle at 75mph, all the way down to 30mph, then I would be concerned.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:12 PM

It's this just the normal EFI fuel cutoff to the injectors, cause you killed the throttle? There isn't any fuel map that can fix that.

You would be looking into an ECU flash that removes the throttle off fuel cut.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks KCW and Patrick. I will try to look out for the speed at which which fuel cuts off and when it comes back on. My issue is not the cutoff, it is the pop when fuel is restored.My Harley 883 does not pop like this. However, it has stock exhaust / intake and no fuel controller. I was wondering whether there is a map to modify just the setting when fuel is restored for no decel pop and keep the mixture richer when throttle is opened.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

if the V&H module can't give you a map that corrects out the fuel mixture, then your best options might be to switch it out with something else or get your ECU flashed.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I found the following instruction on the FAQ page for the FuelPak:

Q. My pipe “pops” when coming to a stop, what can I do to eliminate that?
A. The Fuelpak has a function which shuts off the fuel when decelerating. No fuel=no pop. Obviously the Fuelpak has to turn the fuel back on at some point or the engine would die. Not all popping can be eliminated, but this feature does lessen it. Mode 23 controls the rpm where the fuel is turned back on. Try lowering this by one number and see if it helps you. If you have done this and have gotten to 14 or your bike is stalling when coming to a stop, that is all you can do and you will not be able to lessen the popping without changing the pipes or installing quieter baffles. The popping is not harmful, just annoying.

I checked the setting and it was at 5 already. I can try bringing that number further down, so the fuel is restored at a lower RPM. Alternatively, I could raise the number to restore fuel earlier. Let's see...

PS: A friend rode my bike while I rode his Suzuki M109. He said he enjoyed the popping, heheheh.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 07:33 AM
KCW

Garage
Nice work Inspector Baldilocks!
Baldilocks likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
if the V&H module can't give you a map that corrects out the fuel mixture, then your best options might be to switch it out with something else or get your ECU flashed.
Thanks bevo. I got the whole V&H set already installed on my bike when I bought it. I am getting used to the pop, and some of my friends actually like it. If I manage to confirm that the engine is not being damaged, there is no harm in keeping what I got. I got a good deal actually (for my country).
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode