Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

New guy with some starting issues

777 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  NorthernRider 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I live in the Minnesota area and I own a 2002 vstar 1100 which seems to have a little trouble starting without twisting the throttle but it runs fine and still has good power and will start when warm just fine.New plugs seem to fix the problem for a few starts. I partially cleaned the carbs but I did not split them.

#2 ·
DO NOT USE THE THROTTLE WHEN STARTING!!! You will mess up the starter clutch which is a bear to fix, let alone expensive. It screws with the TPS system as well. For your wallets sake, don't even try to use the throttle at start up. Ok, now that is out of the way, how are the plugs when you pull them? Black, white, normal? That will tell you how rich or lean it is running, then go from there. Many others might chime in, but they will all tell you the same thing. DONT use the throttle to start. There is some valuable information on here about the 1100 in particular. It is a great bike. I have a 2002 1100 v-star as well and love it. Have had the typical neglect and abuse problems from previous owners, but think all of the kinks are worked out. Oh, welcome ot the site from Southern Oregon where you cant breathe easy from all the smoke in the air. :)

#5 ·
Reactions: fd757
#6 ·
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. And even though it's been beat to death here, I have to echo the no throttle when starting rule. The 1100 is an awesome, dependable bike that will serve you for years once you get this sorted out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.