Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Spare gas tank?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  TimBucTwo 
#1 ·
I was just reading a review about the Roadliner and in it they stated it has TWO fuel tanks. Is this right?? It says the main tank is 3.7 gallons and there is a smaller .8 gal tank under the seat. I know I've seen a cap under there but haven't bothered to remove it yet to see what it's for. My wife hasn't had the bike that long and obviously I don't have a manual (which sucks). :(

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
all the Vstar user manuals are available from the yamaha motorsports website as a free download

I cant imagine they would put a reserve tank on the bike that has to be filled separately.

#3 ·
Der...I just showed my lack of experience with her bike. Thanks KCW! I just learned A LOT in the 5min of reading through the manual.

I think I'll crawl back in my hole now...

Reactions: lesblank
#4 · (Edited)
no so fast.... you have to explain it now

are there two tanks with one filler?

does it have a normal MC petcock that you flip over for reserve, or just a low fuel warning light?

hiding another gallon under the seat is a pretty good design idea

If Im taking a road trip into the unknown, I carry a 1 quart camping spun aluminum fuel bottle in my saddle bag. That quart of gas will take me another 12 miles down the road, but mostly I will end up using it to help another rider.

#5 ·
*PEEKING OUT OF HOLE* Apparently so. The smaller tank is what the fuel pump actually sits in. It pulls the fuel from the big tank first and when that's empty it pulls from the small one it sits in. There's only the warning light (along with the gauge). It's the oil filler cap that's under the seat that I saw. Again...owners manuals are a wonderful invention even when skimmed through...

Reactions: AlphaOmega and KCW
#7 · (Edited)
I was just reading a review about the Roadliner and in it they stated it has TWO fuel tanks. Is this right?
Yes there are two tanks. The main tank is the one up top where you fill the bike. Basically, it is no different than any other tank on a bike. There are fuel lines that run down to the smaller tank that is under the saddle. Its located between the side covers. The fuel pump is in it.

The black cap under the saddle is the oil tank cap. This is where you check your oil and fill the bike after an oil change. These bikes have a dry sump and have an oil reservoir rather than an oil pan.

#8 ·
It's the same on the 950 (I think) and the 1300.

The gas tank is your main, then it fills your *reserve* tank, that the gas pump sits in. So when you go to reserve, it's actually just senses the main tank is empty, and you only have the little half gallon left in the fuel pump container.

#9 · (Edited)
...........................you only have the little half gallon left in the fuel pump container.
I guess fuel pump container is a good way to word it.
I edited my earlier post. I messed up when describing the locations.

does it have a normal MC petcock that you flip over for reserve, or just a low fuel warning light?
No petcock. When you turn the key on, the pump delivers fuel. A light comes on when the main tank is empty. Then a mile counter comes on letting you know how far you have ridden on reserve. Depending on how hard you are riding will determine how far you will go on reserve. Plan on about 20-30 miles before you start walking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.