Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

gear shift question

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Cheese and crackers 
#1 ·
I have 2000 vstar 1100 custom and it is quite hard to shift from 1st to 2nd and it makes a engagement clanging sound, is this typical. this is the only gear i have any concern about, it is ok going up and down in other gears

also, it really bogs down starting out in 1st gear is this common and resolved by adding more throttle

thanks

#2 ·
Check the freeplay at the clutch lever. The less freeplay you allow the more you will separate the clutch plates and the easier it will shift each time you squeeze the lever. Try adjusting it to a point where the lever only moves about 1/8 inch at the lever end when the engine is cold. See if there is any improvement by doing this first. How many miles does your clucth have? If the plates have been burned that would explain why it shifts roughly and noisy from first to second and is less noticed in the upper gears. It sounds like the clutch plates are still spinning when you pull the clutch in to make the shift smoothly. Are you using a multi-grade oil like a 10W-40 or 20W-50? The bogging you describe sounds more like carburetor idle mixture adjustment and/or restricted low speed fuel circuits caused by too much sitting and partially clogged fuel/air passages. I'd recommend having your local YAMAHA dealer test ride your bike and repair accordingly. They should have a good analyzer to accurately set the Hydrocarbon and Carbon Monoxide levels in each carburetor separately for best performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.