Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

-   New Riders (https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/10-new-riders/)
-   -   Does your dealer let you test ride before buying? (https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/10-new-riders/2577-does-your-dealer-let-you-test-ride-before-buying.html)

skotman 08-05-2010 05:05 PM

Does your dealer let you test ride before buying?

I purchased my first bike a year ago and had to buy it with out test riding it. I wasn't extremely happy about that but bought my Vstar 650 Custom anyway. After flipping through the forums on here, is this an abnormal practice? We only have 4 dealers in the metro area, 2 yahmaha/suzuki, 1 honda and 1 HD and none (well I didn't look at HD) would allow a test ride.

Thoughts? I'm looking to trade my 650 in if the dealer will give me a good deal on trade.

linerdave 08-05-2010 07:42 PM

Test ride

It may depend if they have bike with miles on it. I did test ride a Liner before I bought one. The ride is probably why I bought it. But, the one I bought had zero miles. If they have a new bike on the floor with zero miles I don't think they will let you ride it.

Dave

newstarowner 08-05-2010 09:42 PM

Test Drive

I have purchased 2 bikes in the past 23 months. 2007 Majesty 400 and I just bought a new 2009 V-star 950 Tourer. The dealer let me drive both right off the floor. I traded the Majesty for the 950.
I didn't drive them very far, but the sale of both bikes were subject to driving them. There is a Yamaha dealer 12 miles from my house, but I drove almost 80 miles to the dealer I purchased from. They are great to deal with and I feel I got a great price on both the purchase and trade of my first bike. They even send me birthday cards. The local dealers just don't want to deal as much as the dealer I bought from. They also had a better selection. The dealer is Promotor Sports of fond Du Lac, Wisconsin. They havea huge stor and cary Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki.

paramed 08-06-2010 06:59 AM

The local dealer here insisted I test drive the bike before he would sell it to me - no complaints here!

bevo1981 08-07-2010 01:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
i visited 3 different dealers before i bought mine in Austin and none allowed test riding before buying

DanDyDlux 08-07-2010 04:08 AM

Test ride

Lots of dealers have open house days where you can test ride a new model but that is usually in the spring, my local dealer insists you test ride before you buy whether it be a yami or harley its like buying a car you're not going to purchase until you test drive. My 06 Stratoliner was in for warranty problem and they lent me a 10 Stratoliner Deluxe well they knew what they were doing because the next day I went in and traded for it. Bottom line insist on a test ride if the dealer says no can do then find another dealer that will and you and the dealer will feel better in knowing you purchased the right bike for you.

DonDar 08-07-2010 10:56 AM

My wife and I bought our '02 V-Star 1100 Silverado in February of this year. Lots of snow at that time. We saw the bike, fell in love with it, and had to have it. The dealer wrote on the contract "final sale contingent on favorable test ride", since we couldn't exactly test ride it then (no provisions for skis on the bike, not even the Silverado). Anyway, he made sure that we liked the ride a month later before we signed the final paperwork. I don't know what their policy is on new bikes, though, since I haven't been in the market for one. Yet.

skotman 08-12-2010 09:04 PM

Hmmm well next time I'm in the market for a new/used bike. I'm only a year into my first bike (vstar 650 custom) but am already looking/drooling for over the 950 so I've got some time.

CanadianRocky 10-11-2010 01:45 PM

I drove my dealers personal Strat before I bought my Roadliner. But, he is a good buddy of mine.

Every time I have sold a bike privately to someone I did not know, I had them bring me a certified cheque for the full amount before they took the bike out with the understanding that if they bring it back with so much as a scratch, they bought it. If it came back the same way it went out, and they did not want it, they get the cheque back. Then I would follow them in my car to make sure they did not abuse the engine or transmission.

If they did not agree to my requirements, they did not get the bike.

hig4s 10-11-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skotman (Post 10735)
I purchased my first bike a year ago and had to buy it with out test riding it. I wasn't extremely happy about that but bought my Vstar 650 Custom anyway. After flipping through the forums on here, is this an abnormal practice? We only have 4 dealers in the metro area, 2 yahmaha/suzuki, 1 honda and 1 HD and none (well I didn't look at HD) would allow a test ride.

Thoughts? I'm looking to trade my 650 in if the dealer will give me a good deal on trade.

BMW and HD usually allow test rides, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki usually do not. But there are exceptions both ways.

If you live anywhere in the South East, Bikeweek in March and Biketoberfest in October at Daytona has factory test rides from most of the manufacturers every year.