Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

new pipes

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Goobzilla 
#1 ·
i just bought the hk 3 inch big straights. what all parts besides the pipes am i gonna need to do the install. I'm hoping to get it up and going even though there is a foot of snow here right now. pipes should be here middle of this month. i would just like to make sure i can jump right on it instead of ordering more parts and waiting. thank you

#9 ·
Are you installing a complete exhaust system, or just a slip on muffler?? If a complete system, just unhook the EXUP valve cables,and disconnect the 02 sensor. If the new system has a bung for the 02 sensor, and it will fit, install it.

#12 ·
I ran the 3" Big Straights for close to 3 years. I liked the pipes, but I did drag them a few times and one of the heat shield brackets broke causing the heat shield to start cracking. This all happened on the front pipe near the driver footboard. Not sure if the the bracket broke from dragging the pipes or it happened at the dealer when it was in for service or a new tire install. A few things to note:

I did disconnect the EXUP and O2 sensor.

I did install a PC V fuel manager from the get go. You will get popping, expecially between 2nd and 3rd gear and deacceleration without it. Someone on the Stratoliner Deluxe forum has a used PC V for sale, I think he just lowered the price. If you install a PC V, let me know. I have some custom maps for the PIPES, with and without AIR kit, I can send you.

The install is not bad, the two points I didn't like is you have to loosen or remove the right driver footboard. Is not hard, just time consuming, and be careful not to strip the bolts putting the footboard back on. The other point is that the back nut on the rear pipe is hard to get to. I used a 1/4 drive socket with a universal.

You will have to remove both pipes whenever you put on a new back tire, which is quite often on these bikes.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

#13 ·
I had the HK 3 inch Big Straights installed at the beginning of last year's riding season. The EXUP does not work with this set up so it was not used. I also put in a Cobra Power Pro Tuner. The difference from stock was remarkable. You will find that some riders use a fuel management system - Power Commanders are the most popular. Some riders have claimed these pipes worked fine without the need for a tuner pack. If budget is tight you could try without first. If you want the whole experience, consider the addition of the fuel management system. I like the cobra as it does not need mapping or a dyno tune to get the best map. If you love fiddling with the equations, the Power commander will have more flexibility to change the way it operates.

In any case, these are a hell of a set of pipes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.