Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

low budget 650 boobber build

19K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  Barman84 
#1 · (Edited)
low budget 650 bobber build

So I bought a 99 vstar 650 this Saturady stock except for some vance and hines pipes runs and rides great with 14k on the odo.

I paid a whopping 700 plus a 25 trailer rental fee to take it home.:D

The plan with the wife yes I said wife is to build a nice little bobber to ride around from time to time if not if someone wants it when I am done then that will work to provided I make a little $$$

I already have it ripped down and new bars installed painted the side covers electric blue pearl, I am going to make my own fiberglass fender as everything I have found simply sucks or they want way to much $$$ for what you are getting.

The bike will probably black with pearl coat and the blue under base should be pretty kickass when its finished. I will post more as I go along.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Ive played with it a bit. It doesn't have the power my 1100 has but its light as heck and fun to whip around. I just want to build a cool looking bike for a budget that won't cost more than maybe 1300 total bike parts tax title license fees. So far Ive got about 100 on top of the 700 so its getting there.

#4 ·
Ok quick update. Started the fender building tonight along with some sanding painting sanding painting...

Its going to be so much more enjoyable when I can ride it then work on it. But it is what it is. Painted the master cylinder black and both control boxes. Going to be working on the wiring for it all tomorrow and putting them back together then sending the bars to get powder coated again before I slap it all back on.

Attachments

#6 ·
Yes I am taping it out on the areas that I want it to go to. I couldn't find anything that looked like what I want so my only solution is to build it. If it comes out great I may make a master mold and make a few more. I grew up in a body shop and we repaired both cars and boats so glass doesn't scare me.

#10 ·
Some more updates for you. Tanks painted fender is getting glassed then shaped then bondo then primer then block sand then primer then block then primer then blocked then painted and cleared.

Bonus the new seat for my 1100.

Attachments

#12 ·
Ive always been an old school guy myself. I had a 48 mercury 4 door in high school and my dads old virago. Those were some fun times and I am a firm believer that your kids need cars they can work on to teach them how to fix crap.

#13 ·
Well I got a little more done tonight. The wife is starting to complain about my time in the garage so I am waiting to touch it until Monday when I have the day off and all day to work.

Pic 1 finally cured temps aren't that high and didn't feel like leaving a heat source running while at work.

Pic 2 removed all the supports and bags and tape and what not.

Pic 3 cut it out to the shape I like and started sanding just a bit.

Attachments

#15 ·
more done today. Once the primer dries I am going to block sand and mount it to see how it works...

Then I will paint it and off to the front end for internal wiring time.

Attachments

#16 ·
Well guys heres a new update got the day yesterday to play and have gotten a bit more done finally. Going to do the wiring throughout this week and next and get the wheels to the powder coaters.

I am waiting for my tax return to buy some white walls for the beast and I need to get a pan built for the seat but its coming along nicely at this point.

Attachments

#19 ·
Well I've been spraying flake for three days it's looking good though

Attachments

#21 ·
Cobalt blue and gun metal on the side covers.

Attachments

#22 ·
Well guys I got my tires in and got them mounted and got it all tied up. Got my electrical issues taken care of and she's finished all finished and road worthy.

Attachments

#23 ·
WOW! that turned out nice man! Are you selling it now or are you going to hang on to it for a bit. I think next year Im going to find an older bike to make a bobber, I wanted to do one last year but needed equipment for our business (gotta eat ya know)lol Looks great!

#24 ·
Not sure yet drove her around for close to 4 hours today talk about fun to ride...

I got stopped a lot about it as well and had one person actually offer to buy her but wasn't close to what I am looking for. If someone hits the number in my head I would part with it in a heartbeat though.

#26 ·
Amazing job Brother! How did you know how to do all that stuff? Was the Bike running (or had the ability to run) when you got it, or did you have to do any engine work to it?

Why did they sell it?

#28 ·
Bike was running not great mind you it wouldn't idle to save its life. Even with the carbs syncd it was sputter out after a minute or two. I had to do adjust the valves pretty good before it wanted to run. New oil, spark plugs, filter as well. Took the carbs completely apart and back together cleaning them as I went along. The carb connections were toast to the motor as well dry rotted past repair. I just found a set from a motorcycle salvage yard for cheap ie 5 bucks.

Other than that most screws that you would be removing for maintenance issues or lights and other things were rusted to the bike. That was probably the worst part getting them out.

The ingenuity some people have to hold things together amazes me. The genius who replaced the air filter also used duct tape all the way around the bowl... IE blocking off the air intake all togother probably why it had sat for the last 4 years. The gas was bad as well the tank looked fine inside so it was cleaned and sealed.

I do paint myself so the green and white had to go. I honestly wanted to go gold and black but the wife and sons said NO... OK well heres three colors pick one they all wanted the blue flake.

The fiberglass stuff I learned as a kid doing body work in my uncles body shops it comes in handy from time to time and it helps to think outside the box.

The break down
Mirrors eBay 25.50 shipped
grips avon airs eBay 45.00 shipped
Taillight eBay 75.00 Shipped
Tires shiniko 777 www
motorcycle superstore 187.00 shipped
Seat la Rossa 87.00 sniped on ebay
Bars I had but they cost 50.00 eBay

total 382.50
Paint
Clear coat 1 pint 50.00
Base coat 1 pintblue pearl 20.00
flake 1 pound blue flake 30.00
black candyside covers
and side of tank 15.00

total 115.00
If you buy airbrush sizes in certain things its way cheaper as it mixes into clear anyway for candys...

Fender build 55.00
Bolts and wire 30.00
engine enamel 8.00
GAK kit
Filters 10.00
jets 4.00
Adjure headlight eBay 25.00
Harley front foot pegs... 5.00 swap meet yes they say harley on them I don't really care LOL.

total 137

So I have less than 650 into the bike and I paid 700 for it and we will toss in the trailer rental to get her home of 30.

So I have invested at total close to 1400 in parts and bike. She looks sweet and NADA and KBB both put her at 2300 anyways. I have already had the guy I get paint supplies from offer me 4k for her and man thats tempting just to do another one on an 1100 platform. If I do let her go I am for sure going single back bone peanut tank style on the next one.

#29 ·
what type of bars do you have on there? whatd they run ya?

#30 ·
They are eBay specials paid no more than 50 for them. Granted they needed to be spot welded when I hit them the bars were lose in the step downs the fix was 5 bucks.

Just painted them with black epoxy paint and slapped them on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.