Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st time in 2 years of owning the bike that I've Full Send It. I only did 1st -4th gear. I want to make it clear I don't advise anyone to do this. Don't be like me and not wear gear. I was curious to know how quick it could get up to speed. Now I know. Don't see it happening again. Figured I'd Share.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
did the rev limiter kick in maxed out in 4th gear? you still had a gear left, yes?

When I got my 650 a few times I got the itch to 'see what this thing can do'

I had it up to 80mph on a 2 lane country road - and still had a lot of throttle twist left. The next time I felt inclined to open it up I immediately saw deer on the side of the road

a few days later I thought to do it just as I crested a hill, and a Sheriffs car went by the other way. I felt like I was getting a message....

Ive had my Royal Star over 85 on the interstate - Ive had my Ford Fusion up to 100mph... just not feeling the need. Im not sure where the limiter is on the Royal Star.. I think its over 130mph.

Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did the rev limiter kick in maxed out in 4th gear? you still had a gear left, yes?

When I got my 650 a few times I got the itch to 'see what this thing can do'

I had it up to 80mph on a 2 lane country road - and still had a lot of throttle twist left. The next time I felt inclined to open it up I immediately saw deer on the side of the road

a few days later I thought to do it just as I crested a hill, and a Sheriffs car went by the other way. I felt like I was getting a message....

Ive had my Royal Star over 85 on the interstate - Ive had my Ford Fusion up to 100mph... just not feeling the need. Im not sure where the limiter is on the Royal Star.. I think its over 130mph.
I was at the top of 4th gear when I let off. That was enough for me. I was on a 9 mile straight flat stretch of road.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Cool vid. The white lines were flying by in the lower right corner.

There is a looong, straight, three lane wide stretch of the PA turnpike that was too tempting to pass up. Once the speedo hit 110 I let off, knowing that even with it being off, I broke 100 to some degree. I used all 5 gears, I think the bike still had some left but I will never know.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
If you put a Garman or Magellen GPS from a car somewhere on the bike, let it run on internal battery power, and clear the max speed readings, it will tell you the max speed you reach, without needing to look at it while riding...

it can be in your saddle bag, or your jacket pocket - you dont need to be able to see it. It will usually run for 15 minutes on internal battery power.

I also have a sailing/hiking GPS that will do the same.

when my Royal Star is going 55 mph the speedo reads 50.

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
1,054 Posts
1st time in 2 years of owning the bike that I've Full Send It. I only did 1st -4th gear. I want to make it clear I don't advise anyone to do this. Don't be like me and not wear gear. I was curious to know how quick it could get up to speed. Now I know. Don't see it happening again. Figured I'd Share.

Cap stayed on? Glue or thumbtacks? 😃

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
windshield....

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
in 1907 Glenn Curtiss became the fastest man alive by going 136mph on a V8 40HP motorcycle

held the record for a very long time (decades)

you are both 11mph short of his record and 113 years late :^)

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
edited my last post, forgot to post the video...

137mph for a mile to break his 1907 record...

BTW, his motorcycle had no clutch, no brakes, and only a single gear

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
1,054 Posts
edited my last post, forgot to post the video...

137mph for a mile to break his 1907 record...

BTW, his motorcycle had no clutch, no brakes, and only a single gear
This reminds me of an EXCELLENT movie that forum folks will enjoy: "The World's Fastest Indian".
True story about a New Zealander who tries and succeeds to break the world land speed record on his Indian motorcycle back in the 60's. A very good story.

I just checked. One of his records still stands. Under 1000cc, flying mile, 190.07 mph.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
933 Posts
I think your beard got scared. Looked like it was trying to get away.

·
Registered
504 Posts
when I was a teen, my cousin took me for a ride as an unwilling passenger in his new lime green GTX and buried the speedometer at 160 mph.... scary sh.....!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts