Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yall...

So since yall have been so helpful with all my other noob questions and haven't sent me off a cliff yet, I come to you with yet another question that I am unable to find after searching the forum and the wiki.

I am wanting to wire up, as the title says, a power supply to the bars on my bike so I can charge my phone and GPS for long rides. This being an inexpensive mod, will be the first thing I will do to the bike. My thoughts are to wire the negative to the battery, the positive to the fuse for the headlight, then run the 2 pin battery tender fused quick release up to the front and hook up a cigarette lighter outlet with a dual USB block in it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would not hook it to the headlight circuit. GPS and phone charger don't use much power but I wouldn't want to take the chance of blowing the headlight fuse, especially if you do any riding at night. Mine is hooked up directly to the battery (with a fuse) so it is hot all the time. The only problem with doing that is you could kill the battery if you left something plugged in for long periods with the bike not running. If you really want it working only with the motor running, a better place to hook into would be the tail light circuit (not brake).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I'm looking for is to cut the power when the key is out which is why I was thinking headlight but the taillight makes sense too.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My 06 has one recessed into the left hand side of the front frame neck. It has a nice waterproof cover over it also. I assume its aftermarket and have no idea where its wired but I like the fact that its almost invisible yet easily within reach. Just thought I would throw that out there as a location suggestion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts