Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering do I have to remove the exhaust to get to the regulator as it has tested bad and needs to be replaced . Any info on replacing it would be great .

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think it depends on your exhaust.. I was able to replace mine (99' Custom) without removing the exhaust.. I was able to remove the allen head bolt and pull the cover out the top behind the exhaust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the process of putting it back together right now . I had to unbolt the exhaust from the heads and take the bolts out of the exhaust bracket to be able to make room to pull the shield out but still a pia. I also tested the old regulator and the were all .636 across the board accept one read at 606 so I hope this solves my problem as the stator tested fine and was charging gd at idle and higher rpms but the voltage across the battery was jumping all over the place. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I have :

http://www.hardkrome.com/motorcycle-exhaust.php?hkID=25

And unless your exhaust is sitting a whole lot closer to the frame, I don't know why you'd have to? There's only one bolt to remove, then you just pull the cover towards the exhaust until it's removed and then up and out..

GL!

eGo
....and then have room to unscrew the bolts holding the reg/rec and access to unplug it for removal. I always loosen the exhaust first.

also, do yourself a favor and drill some holes in the front of the cover to allow better air flow across the reg/rec. It'll definitely help it's life span.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got it done yesterday after my last post and all is gd with a new regulator and battery as it got fried to .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have :

And unless your exhaust is sitting a whole lot closer to the frame, I don't know why you'd have to? There's only one bolt to remove, then you just pull the cover towards the exhaust until it's removed and then up and out..

GL!

eGo
My Cobra pipes must be a lot closer as I can not even pull the tabs all the way out to even move the cover .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have :

GL!

eGo
....and then have room to unscrew the bolts holding the reg/rec and access to unplug it for removal. I always loosen the exhaust first.

also, do yourself a favor and drill some holes in the front of the cover to allow better air flow across the reg/rec. It'll definitely help it's life span.

I will have to do the holes at a later date as I did not think of that or see this post until it was to late.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Glad you're up and running again. :) I'm in the process of fixing the previous owners screw-ups..... Or maybe it was the owner before him.. grrr...

·
Registered
491 Posts
What kind of screw ups ?
I pulled the carburetors because the bike has been having issues under throttle so I figured I'd clean them out and rejet for the exhaust.. Well, I got the carbs off in less than an hour (had to do lots of in and outs because of my kids). Get them inside, down to the work sink and start to remove the screws and notice that one, yes one, on each of the bowls is boogered up bad.. So, I'm guessing that the PO or the one before him (most likely the one before him) thought they were going to rejet the carbs and stripped out the screws. When they did that, they just closed it back up and re-installed them to hide their screw up.. Also saw a couple of other things that have me a little "worried".. I'll take pictures of them later.. For now, I'm stalled out because I have to go pick up a pair of needle nose vice grips to try and work the two screws out. I'm also going to pick up the replacement hex head or allen head screws while I'm at the hardware store.. ;\ The new main jet is supposed to arrive on Thursday, so I've got some time to get them apart. I would love to have everything put back together by Saturday so I can finally go out and experience this bike for all that it can be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What kind of screw ups ?
I pulled the carburetors because the bike has been having issues under throttle so I figured I'd clean them out and rejet for the exhaust.. Well, I got the carbs off in less than an hour (had to do lots of in and outs because of my kids). Get them inside, down to the work sink and start to remove the screws and notice that one, yes one, on each of the bowls is boogered up bad.. So, I'm guessing that the PO or the one before him (most likely the one before him) thought they were going to rejet the carbs and stripped out the screws. When they did that, they just closed it back up and re-installed them to hide their screw up.. Also saw a couple of other things that have me a little "worried".. I'll take pictures of them later.. For now, I'm stalled out because I have to go pick up a pair of needle nose vice grips to try and work the two screws out. I'm also going to pick up the replacement hex head or allen head screws while I'm at the hardware store.. ;\ The new main jet is supposed to arrive on Thursday, so I've got some time to get them apart. I would love to have everything put back together by Saturday so I can finally go out and experience this bike for all that it can be.

Take a small file and file a slot for a flat had screwdriver as I just went through the same thing when I bought my bike back in April. The bike was sitting since 2009 and when I was riding it home the jets got clogged up . Also you can get theses jets at any local Harley dealer to instead of waisting money on a kit .

·
Registered
491 Posts
Take a small file and file a slot for a flat had screwdriver as I just went through the same thing when I bought my bike back in April. The bike was sitting since 2009 and when I was riding it home the jets got clogged up . Also you can get theses jets at any local Harley dealer to instead of waisting money on a kit .
Thanks! Aye, I just bought the jet itself off of eBay for a little bit of nothing.. Less than $5 shipped.. But, it looks like I'm going to need to chase down some new rubber.. lol There are a couple of o-rings and gaskets that look pretty rough.. I'd rather replace them now than have to do this all over again later.. Now, the debate is whether to wait for them in the mail and risk missing this weekend or pay the exorbitant amount the local dealer wants.. Hmmmm.... BTW, follow my progress here : http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69578

If you like.. :) Thanks for the advice!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts