Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next to putting a heater next to my bike in the winter, does anyone know of a reason that would cause a failure to start when its like 24 deg outside? it turns and turns and never fires, I am thinking plug but... I'm new and would love some expert input.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Next to putting a heater next to my bike in the winter, does anyone know of a reason that would cause a failure to start when its like 24 deg outside? it turns and turns and never fires, I am thinking plug but... I'm new and would love some expert input.
I would start with the choke, cable and carb. Has it been sitting for a while

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try spraying some starting fluid into the air intake and then try to start the engine. If it still doesn't fire then I think the coil(s) may be weak and not supplying sufficient voltage spark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moneypit - The bike has sat for about 5 days in the garage because of snow and ice unfortunately. Im not ready to take those elements on yet... :) When the bike does fire, it has s strong fuel smell. When I'm riding, everything seems fine. It's just when its cold.

ROADHOG118B - I haven't tried the starter fluid yet, but makes sense. Same as the coil. What about the plugs? If they are bad could they be causing issues?

Nick57 - I haven't messed with the idle yet.

I will give these a try and see what happens in the morning as it is AGAIN supposed to be cold in the morning... **** :mad: ****

·
Registered
473 Posts
Strong fuel smell wouldnt surprise me, after trying to start it over and over id be surprised its not flooded. Im no motorcycle mechanic but worked on cars for many, many years and basically the same thing and I fix all of our 2 cycle lawn care crap and usually when its hard starting in cold temps the choke/carb is to blame. If you need to get it started please dont use starting fluid, we use a product called Thrust, its a penetrating oil but works just like starting fluid and wont wash out the cylinders. I would start there and next would be spark, you can test that by removing a spark plug and grounding it to say the frame and see if there is good spark (do not touch the spark plug if you do this). You just need to crank it over a few seconds to see if it is arcing. Just make sure theres no leaking fuel and the vapors are gone before you do this. If theres good spark then its in the fuel delivery system. Maybe try the spark test first because it should only take a few seconds. And like Nick said, check the plugs when they are out, they should be a light tan color. Any darker they are fouled, any lighter its running too lean. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Every bit of info I can soak up helps. Been hit by a spark or 2 from a buddies super coil on his Jimmie when I was a teenager... wont make that mistake again... I'll look into Thrust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts