Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me bike with Vance and Hines exhaust. It came to me that way. Just getting a feel for the bike and have a few questions. I found the recommended shift speeds in the manual, does anyone know what the redline shift points are?

It does backfire mildly on decel and falters a bit at higher rpms. Both to me say it's a bit lean. Is it normal to have to rejet with this exhaust kit on the bike? I have yet to go through the carbs to find out what's in there for jets. And I have no idea what's been done to the bike. PO could offer no info.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
547 Posts
Does your bike have the stock air filter installed? If it does, then you can likely adjust the fuel/air mixture using the PMS screws to reduce the popping and richen your mixture slightly. V stars are apparently a little on the lean side from the factory.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Those look like the same pipes that were on my 650 when I got it. We rejetted the carbs while it was apart for cleaning. This site 650 CC & D has the rev limits listed, someplace (I don't remember the exact page). No tach on the bike, so don't worry about it. First time you hit them you'll know, the bike won't let you go any faster and drops off until the revs are once again below the limiter. Unless, of course, you shift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those look like the same pipes that were on my 650 when I got it. We rejetted the carbs while it was apart for cleaning. This site 650 CC & D has the rev limits listed, someplace (I don't remember the exact page). No tach on the bike, so don't worry about it. First time you hit them you'll know, the bike won't let you go any faster and drops off until the revs are once again below the limiter. Unless, of course, you shift.
Do you know of the size of the mains you ended up with?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Do you know of the size of the mains you ended up with?
I watched my friend do the job. Personally, I don't know how to do this. We used the needles that came in the kit, following the directions that came with it, and as far as I know, he used the larger ones. Beyond that, I can't help you.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
547 Posts
Is the Yamaha stamp on your photo on the exhaust? If it is, then you actually have gutted (or partially gutted) OEM exhausts... Basically someone has cut the end off of the OEM exhaust and removed the some or all of the baffles and possibly the catalytic converters too. Can you post a photo showing the inside of the exhausts from the rear of the bike please. This will help determine the level of modification that had been done and may help us to advise what steps you should take with your issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the Yamaha stamp on your photo on the exhaust? If it is, then you actually have gutted (or partially gutted) OEM exhausts... Basically someone has cut the end off of the OEM exhaust and removed the some or all of the baffles and possibly the catalytic converters too. Can you post a photo showing the inside of the exhausts from the rear of the bike please. This will help determine the level of modification that had been done and may help us to advise what steps you should take with your issue.
This one is an 02. I heard catalytic converters didn't come until later?

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
462 Posts
Yep those are Vance and Hines, at lest from he header pipe back. They were too loud for me. No cat ,no balance pipe between. My 99 came with those same pipes and it is too lean.They will pop on deceleration, even the stock ones do, it's just that it's louder. Watch yourself with those heat shields, they aren't as good as stock. I melted holes in two riding pants on those "heat shields".
Good luck dialing it in, 650 CC&D is a good resource.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep those are Vance and Hines, at lest from he header pipe back. They were too loud for me. No cat ,no balance pipe between. My 99 came with those same pipes and it is too lean.They will pop on deceleration, even the stock ones do, it's just that it's louder. Watch yourself with those heat shields, they aren't as good as stock. I melted holes in two riding pants on those "heat shields".
Good luck dialing it in, 650 CC&D is a good resource.
Did you re-jet your 99?

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
547 Posts
650 ccnd website has details on rejetting for most combinations of air intakes and exhausts. But they all assume you have a non OEM air intake... For the stock air intake, you can adjust the PMS screws to make minor adjustments.

Reactions: Oldcomputech

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
462 Posts
I had stock intake so I made one of those minor adjustments. PMS screws and I raised the float level about 2mm. I know, I know, not really the proper way to richen it, but it worked!

Reactions: Bobber650
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.