Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased an 02 650,,it has no spark , i knew it when i bought it but thought i could figure it out,, but still no spark ..im hopeing someone out there might be able to help ... what ive done so far is new battery new coils new ignitor spark plugs . i followed the video on testing stator and pickupcoil, they tested good with an ohm meter. ive got 12v at both posts on coil and spark plug when key is on .starter is turning engine over .kick stand up or down and clutch lever is in or out. but no spark . any suggestions would be great . im new to yamaha thanks in addvance

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Did you test clutch switch and side stand switch? I had stand switch fail and did the same thing. Is the engine turning over and not starting or not turning over at all?

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
you can google the V star 650 factory service manual and download it free as a PDF file

there is a section on troubleshooting no spark failures

That would be the best place to start.

the one thing to be aware of with the electronic ignition on these bikes, if the battery falls below 10V or so while cranking, the starter will still crank the bike but the ignition will drop out completely and you get no spark. This usually happens when your battery is old and slowing losing its energy, the starter is spinning slower but you dont notice, and one day it just wont start.

You have a new battery, if you have a volt meter it would be good to watch the battery voltage as you are cranking the starter. Sometimes a new battery can have a dead cell, or not be fully charged. Its also good to keep topping off the battery with a small charger or trickle charger while you are working on the bike, because as you keep cranking it with no start it will drop

you might fix the problem and not know it because you have let the battery get too low - cascading failures will make you crazy.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!
Be sure to post in the Vstar section with any issues you’re having. Not everybody reads this section of the forum. You’ll get a lot more responses as we have a lot of 650 owners here and everyone is willing to help out. Keep us updated on your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts