Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 03 1100 Classic. The other day I went to start it and the starter hung on. Turning the switch and kill switch off didn’t do anything. I took the button apart hoping that would stop it but the only thing that did was apparently lose the spring that holds it off the contact. Long story short, the starter burned up before I could get the battery terminal off and I have a new one on the way. My question is, does anyone know what the part is that holds the button off the contact in the start button assembly?

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
Hello Rwatkins and welcome from Virginia.

Sad to hear you burned up the starter. My understanding may be wrong as I thought there was an automatic cutout circuit to prevent such. I have that on a different bike so yours may not. I hope no other issues besides the starter are now presnet.

Are you sure it was the starter button at fault here and not the starter solenoid relay?

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
409 Posts
It sounds more like the starter relay did not release or that you have a short somewhere than the starter button sticking - the starter button will be omitted the moment you turn off the ignition.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I agree with faffi , that was the starter relay being stuck, turning off key would take the starter button out of the picture. The starter relay connects directly to the battery and to the starter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the previous owner for some reason connected blue tooth speakers to the harness in the starter relay causing it to ground out and hang. I have since removed the speakers. He told me when I purchased it that the button sometimes hangs which is why I took it apart. I’ve ordered a new relay as well as a new starter but when I took the button apart in the back yard, i think something fell out that holds the button off of the contact.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If you do have part of it missing, you can not buy individual parts for that handlebar switch group ( that's the bad news ) the good news is the XVS 1100 and the XVS 650 both use the exact same switch group. So it will be very simple to find a used switch group.

Here is the part number to help you :
5BN-83975-00-00

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wondering, could I connect a rocker switch in place if the button and just hook the 2 wires on the buttons contact to the switch?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Let me tell you what I did ( a long time ago) I used to own a 1983 Harley FXE. This thing would EAT starter buttons, it was a poor design during the AMF days. After 3 or 4 switches I said enough is enough. I soldered the kill switch wires together and moved the starter wires to the kill switch. You just have to be careful to shut off the starter when the motor catches and use the key as your kill switch...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve already got those grips. I think I’m gonna try the rocker switch first because I don’t really want to cut the wiring harness to remove the old one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well for some reason the rocker switch didn’t work. Flipped it on and nothing. I jumped out the start relay to make sure the battery wasn’t dead from the starter hanging up and it turned over but wouldn’t fire. Guess I’m ordering the control switch.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Try jumping the 2 wires together, then you know if it ws the switch and not a bad wire or loose connection

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The 2 wires up in the handlebar switch area.

·
Registered
409 Posts
To be absolutely specific, the two wires connected when you push the switch.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think it has been mentioned before, but that suggest a poor contact, main earth or power to starter, or a bad starter. Unless something special happened between the Virago and Star lineup, the starter is quite weak and prone to burn out.

EDIT: You then have most likely an issue with the kill switch or with some of the safety switches that prevent a spark even if you short the relay.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts