Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It’s a brand new starter and everything was working fine before the old starter hung up and burned out. The only thing I can think of is I messed something up in the control switch when I took it apart. Guess I’m ordering a new one and will post the results when it gets here probably next week.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
399 Posts
No need to order a new control switch at this moment, as you cannot be sure it will fix your issue. You are better off, if I may dare say so, working methodically. If you have a multi-meter, you can check that the kill switch closes and opens when you operate it. Same with the side stand and clutch lockout switch. The manual will also most likely let you know how to test the rest of the system when you are lacking a spark. Most likely, though, the culprit is to be found within the things you have touched in some way. Could be as simple as an unplugged wire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The only things I’ve touched are the starter, start relay, and the start button. I don’t have a multimeter so I can’t really test anything. The only changes from when I took it apart are the rocker switch replacing the start button but even when I put the wires together it does nothing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well that and I took the speakers out and wrapped the red/white wire that the previous owner skinned back to hook them up. Other than the start relay plug, I haven’t unplugged anything.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
399 Posts
The only things I’ve touched are the starter, start relay, and the start button. I don’t have a multimeter so I can’t really test anything. The only changes from when I took it apart are the rocker switch replacing the start button but even when I put the wires together it does nothing.
Less than 20 bucks will give you an instrument that will do any home mechanic well and last for decades https://www.walmart.com/browse/home-improvement/multimeters/1072864_1067619_1231235_1231238. I would also recommend either a timing lamp for ignition or a spark tester https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spark-Tester-In-Line/123651807

Even if you have not touched much, chances are great that you do not have spark during cranking. A spark tester will verify, but if you do not have or want one, you can remove your spark plugs, ground them (rest them against the cylinder fins so that metal contacts metal) and turn the engine over by shorting the relay. Will be easier to see in dim light. Spark should be strong and blue.

Now, let's say you have good spark on both cylinders. That means you have trouble with fuel, or - very unlikely but not impossible in your situation - compression.

If the spark is weak, it may not be able to jump under compression. But then the issue is most likely either with poor voltage to the coils or bad spark plugs. Spark plugs can be killed if they get soaked with fuel.

If there is no spark, the most likely cause is something in your system preventing voltage from reaching your coils. Just swapping parts on random may fix it in the end, or immediately if you are extremely lucky, but most likely it will be costly and also time consuming. And may not lead to anything but lots of new parts that were not needed.

I know I have a tendency to make things sound more complicated than they are, but if you use the trouble-shooting section in your manual and persevere, you will find what is wrong and then you can rectify the issue instead of tossing parts at the bike while praying it will help. I know it can be intimidating, but there are many here who will want to help you, and the satisfaction you will feel once you have succeeded cannot be bought for money. Plus you will have learned something new for life :cool:

If you lack a manual, or want extra pointers, you can look at these links for starters (pun intended)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry for the delayed response, I got busy. I found the problem. Apparently the switch has been taken apart before and the kill switch wires were pinched when put back together. I noticed this when I originally took it apart but didn’t think anything of it as the bike was running when it was taken apart. Well the wire must have broken the rest of the way through because when I cut the wires and spliced them together, everything works. I’m still putting a new switch on and I appreciate all the help and advice.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts