Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to All,

I'm looking forward to reading what others are doing with their bikes and gleaning great information for my new acquisition, but first a bit about me. I'm recently retired after 36 years in education where I worked at pretty much all levels from preschool to adult school. I loved it and it was a great run. My wife teaches 1st grade and she'll be looking to retire in about 4 years. I'll help her in the classroom but for the most part I'll be left up to my own devices during the week (LOL). We have 5 kids of which the two youngest are away at college. Not quite empty nesters though, 'cause my elderly in-laws are with us and let's just say that's a "King of Queens" kind of situation, which means it's fun most of the time having them here.

With the encouragement of my youngest brother, I returned to motorcycle riding about two years ago after a 20+ break with the purchase of an 02 Nighthawk 750, which is a great and forgiving bike. I sold it and picked up my 83 year old uncle's Silverado for about the same price as what I sold the Nighthawk for.

The Silverado has sat in a garage for about 4 years. It has 13k miles on the clock. He didn't ride it that much and it was evident there was a fuel issue. The bike would start and idle but die out when given gas. It was last started about a year ago.

At first I thought of taking it to a shop to have the carbs rebuilt but that was going to be $500+ and after checking the internet for forums like this one and You Tube, I decided to clean the carbs myself. So we trailered the bike to my house so I could start on the work. Biggest challenge is that we don't have a garage or access to the back yard so the work has to be done in the front side of the house. I keep the bike covered so when done working on it so that it doesn't bad for the "hood." :D

After getting into it, I found that it's a lot more than the carbs that need to be cleaned. The tank had a lot of the old fuel in it and after emptying it, I could hear the rusty sediment inside. I filled it with apple cider vinegar and let that sit overnight. Emptied it out and then flushed it with distilled water several times. I bought the auto detailing kit for the wet/dry vacuum and used it to suck out the remaining debris from the tank. I used my wife's hair dryer (Shhhh!) to dry out the tank.

I still may need to get the petcock though. It was pretty gunked up. I cleaned it but the fine screen material is lost. I also bought a replacement fuel filter. But I'm thinking of adding another in line fuel filter and look to see if that's been done or what other think about that.

The bike has the Jardine slip on mufflers which I'll be taking off to change the oil. I'm still not sure if I'll go with an oil relocation kit but first things first, I gotta get the bike running first :D

Once running and registered, then the bike can be sorted for those things that reflect not being riden or used for all those years.

For me it's a great retirement project. Even though it will need a lot of detailing and some of the chrome pieces will not come back fully, I think she'll still be a beauty. It's been almost 40 years that I've done things mechanically to a vehicle and what might take a veteran DIY 30 minutes to do will take me hours but it's not like I have to be anywhere soon, plus there's the joy of learning.

Apologies if this was too long but hopefully these photos make it worth it. First are pix of the bike in the garage where it was kept. Note the windhshield. I'll need to find something to remove the film that's developed on it. Next, are photos of the carbs and bike at my house. Last photos are of the tank's interior as clean as I could get it and finally the petcock before I cleaned it.

Again, looking forward to the great resources and encouragement from the forum members. Best to all.
Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
great intro! welcome to the forums... you will find a lot of helpful individuals here. even though the bike needs alittle bit of TLC, it looks to be very nice!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Then there are the people like me...who just provide sarcasm. But hey, we ALL like the pretty shiny pictures. Sounds like you are properly prepared for retirement with both project and secret from the wife (and hey, if that's the only secret you are keeping then she is a happy woman, lol).

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M. That is one long introduction, allow me to summarize:

Enthused to be a member here.

Retired teacher.

Had to buy a Silverado from his penny pinching Uncle who didn't ride it.

Cleaning entire fuel system from gas cap to intake valve.

Has loud pipes.

Apologizes for the wordy introduction. (Apology accepted)

Posted pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome and a good chuckle.

I'll work on being more Thoreau like (nod to stratowart ;-) instead of my Cliff Claven.

And Annie, that's the only secret . . . Well, except for what the cost of parts and goodies really are.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Very nice intro you gave us and not one spelling mistake :D. Like it was said above, a great bunch of people on here and we all like to help out in one way or another. I guess Miescha will have to send you the Intro prize of the week. Just PM him to let him know what you want ;).

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up (eventually) :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts