Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A shop owner put his finger in my exhaust (cobra slash cut) and of course had some black soot on it. he tells me it is running rich, and probably needs to be rejetted. I took it there to talk about the popping on deceleration and he tells me that even after we rejet, it will still pop because of the exhaust that I have.
Wouldnt any exhaust have some black soot in it? it runs very well, and I get 42 mpg, in altitude (Colorado). Was he trying to sell me something I don't need?
Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
a good friend of mine, which is also a great jap bike mechanic did the same to mine when I bought it. i get the same mileage, even better depending on how i am riding, and also have the carbon in the exhaust.He says it is jetted perfect. this is just my experience

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Plugs

You might look at a spark plug. If it is also carbon you might think about jetting. As I understand it most of the things we change tend to make it run lean not rich. A little rich might even be good.

I have read it is more difficult to read plugs with more ethinol beng used in gasoline.

Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea

You might look at a spark plug. If it is also carbon you might think about jetting. As I understand it most of the things we change tend to make it run lean not rich. A little rich might even be good.

I have read it is more difficult to read plugs with more ethinol beng used in gasoline.

Dave
I will look at my plug. It actually is running great, except for the popping and some backfiring on decel. I don't want to fix that which isn't broke, and I guess I have become a bit mistrusting. Make that several bits. I appreciate your response as well as sabrefan's.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sounds like youre running fine at 42 mpg. Most of us are around 40 with mods, but you tend to get more in the throttle the better it sounds. The smileage factor! Do you have the AIS disconnected? Mikuni the builder of your carb says that some crackling and popping from an open exhaust is considered normal in a performance/open exhaust. The Mech/Dealer was trying to drum up business. If it ain't broken don't fix it. Your plugs should be a light tan for optimal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ais

Sounds like youre running fine at 42 mpg. Most of us are around 40 with mods, but you tend to get more in the throttle the better it sounds. The smileage factor! Do you have the AIS disconnected? Mikuni the builder of your carb says that some crackling and popping from an open exhaust is considered normal in a performance/open exhaust. The Mech/Dealer was trying to drum up business. If it ain't broken don't fix it. Your plugs should be a light tan for optimal.
I would love to get the AIS removed, but I am not up to doing it myself and can't find anyone locally who will do it for me. I figured that the dealer was just trying to drum up business, and also thought I would get a comprehensive and intelligent response here, which I did, thank you.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Don't know where you are, but if you hit up the board you might find someone nearby that can help. Here's a link to the removal instructions, if you change ur mind and or find somebody who'll help.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/Other-Stuff/AIS Removal.pdf

There is an editors note about half maybe more down that gives a five minute way to disable it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in Northern Colorado (Greeley) and if anyone in proximity can remove my AIS, let me know and we will work it out.
Much thanks to all.
Mike

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Start a new post "Looking for Help in Greely Colorado" You might get more traffic that way. I'm in Fort Worth, TX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts