Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent my bike back to our Summer location with a Friend after Bike week in Scottsdale, AZ. He started the bike (it fired right off like usual) was getting ready to ride and it died. Tried again turned over no start. Realized the fuel was off and tried again, still nothing but maybe a pop.

Good morning!

2003 V Star 1100 Classic

Finally the battery was slowing down so he put a trickle charge on it. Later he tried still turned over but no start. He added a 3amp charge for one hour while looking into fuel. He said fuel flowed out of the filter but nothing where it connects to the carbs.

He pulled the connector to the fuel pump and gave it 12V and it did nothing. Does this mean the pump is bad?

He also said there was no voltage on the supply end of the fuel pump connector. The lights work the bike turns over fine. Unfortunately I can't find my Clymer manual so I can't tell him where the fuel pump relay is located.

So I am looking for advice! He is a VERY GOOD Mechanic and has worked on bikes for many years.

Location of relay and how to test it? The gas is from CA and is about two months old but about one month ago I added plenty of SeaFoam. Really can't see it being a fuel problem.

Thanks in advance for the help on this!

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
there is a fuse for the fuel pump somewhere

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
starter relay is under the seat. most likely has a big red wire coming from the battery. according to a wiring diagram the pump is supplied from the starting circuit relay.you could run a 12 volt jumper directly to the pump and see if it starts.all the safty switches go to the relay, from the brake,clutch, and kickstand.but you say it turns over so those must be working.

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
344 Posts
Might something as simple as starter relay failure.. common issue on the 1100 with age. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something to add is last night while talking to him he tried starting and noticed a spark. It was the red cable from the battery it was loose at the connection away from the battery the battery connection was tight. He tightened it and it made no difference.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,695 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
les blank, thanks for the info. The battery is fine it's fairly new. It's a BigCrank it spins over the engine easily.

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
344 Posts
Could be bad plugs.. fouled from raw fuel.. take em out sand the tip and try em again.. raw gas will foul a plug and cause it not to spark..He might not know how to start your bike...it is carburated after all.. some bikes have quirks.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
....He pulled the connector to the fuel pump and gave it 12V and it did nothing. Does this mean the pump is bad?

He also said there was no voltage on the supply end of the fuel pump connector. ....

you are getting a lot of random suggestions.

If you put 12V right on the fuel pump connector and the fuel pump would not could not pump fuel
then you have a bad fuel pump. Make sure he got the polarity correct - if the pump is connected backwards it may become a fuel suck.

If there is no power on the bike TO the fuel pump as well, then maybe the bad fuel pump blew out a fuse or relay when the fuel pump failed.

If the pump wont run the bike wont run.

Something else to consider: failures are usually a single point - one thing broke.

If the bike ran before it was shipped and would not run after it was shipped, then something happened during shipment. Maybe something vibrated loose, or a tie down strap got across a wire or connector and chafed thru, or a hook snagged a cable and pulled a connector off. You can usually find a cause and effect when something gets broken.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, the pump was STUCK. Testing at the power side off the connector was not showing power because it only gives power for so long by the time he read the meter it was non powered, it is working fine now that he understood when to look for power. He tapped the pump and sure enough it started working.

Have a few other parts to get before putting it back together. Pump seems fine now BUT I am not confident in it. OE pump is $210, I am wondering what pump you guys have used besides OE or should I just suck it up and buy it??? I am not interested in doing the gravity feed option.

Thanks everyone for all the help!!!

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
that is a tough call to make - if something got past the filter and jammed the pump, the pump could be fine.

If there is a known issue with these fuel pumps then I would replace it

but if its working now, and putting out correct pressure and flow.... Cycle it ten times, if it always comes up swinging I would put it back together and be good until its not. If it fails again then I'd replace it.

Is the fuel pump some place where you can give it a good wack if need be?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Is the fuel pump some place where you can give it a good wack if need be?"

Yes it's easy to get to. My luck I would be out in the boonies when it decides to quit!

Would like another good quality pump option if anyone has one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just ordered the pump and other parts from Yamaha Sports Plaza in Portland and will have by Friday, on line pricing saved a bit over Dealer!.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts