Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

04 V Star 650 Swapping Between Classic and Custom Fenders

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  KCW 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello new to the forum. I recently purchased an 04 V Star 650 Classic however I really liked the Custom rear fender and would like to know if swapping the two is easy as just unbolting and replacing? Has any one done this? From the pictures I've looked at it looked like they're using the same brackets to hold up the rear fender. Then again I can't tell if the seats are the same. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#3 ·
If i remember correctly it is not a straight up swap.

#5 ·
your turn signal and license plate holder will not be in the same place
you need more than just the fender

#9 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience pauli466. I've dealt with rust on cars in past, it's definitely no fun.

I found some rear fenders on ebay but they don't come full with lights and turn signals, looks like it will be much harder to find the set than actually swapping it.

BigBuddha76 - The main seat does look different.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited)
Ive always been amused that Yamaha calls these two models 'the classic' and 'the custom'.

There is nothing custom about a factory bike
and putting the words 'classic' on the front fender does not make the bike a classic.

The irony is you want to modify the rear fender on your bike to make it like the 'custom', and people are telling you not to customize your fender because its hard to do and it will rust.

Its probably just me. BTW I de-badged my 650 'classic' and the Toyota that a friend gave me. I also cut the tags off my jeans and clothes. If I want someones name sewed on the back of my jeans then I will put it on there.

I have given my toyota its own name: Generic Beige Asian Vehicle. I see a lot of them around, they all look the same. But I do not feel compelled to write it on the car with chrome letters.

If it were up to me cars and motorcycles would have model numbers, not some name that a panel of 12 people came up with because they think it will sell more vehicles. Too many cars have stupid model names that sound like the names of aliens on Star Trek.

I know there are people that are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to come up with marketable names for products, like car models, and that drives me crazy. Someone saw my car with no marking on it anywhere and told me Im mental, why would you do that?!

Sometimes being mental is a good thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.